Need advice, moving to AZ and need a new ride! - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Yamaha Rhino.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Need advice, moving to AZ and need a new ride!

Hey guys, newbie here. I'll be out in AZ shortly. Unfortunately I sold my 06 660 RHino 6 months ago when I thought I was transferring to Michingan, but I am now transferring to Safford, AZ in 3 weeks so it's time to buy another one. Out here in WV, the biggest mods I did were rims tires and a black rhino box. What should I look to do to it for out there. ANy need for a winch as I do not see many trees?

I will definetely need to throw in a 4 seat cage and suspension seat as my twin daughters are now 21 months and would enjoy a casual ride. I'd want to be able to do both, ride and wheel as well as hunt...Oh and same as everyone else, budget is definetely an issue!

I've got 2 options I am looking out here in WV to pick up before I leave. First is an 06 camo model. ITP rims, more aggressive tires, roof, digital dash w/136 miles and it has been babied and is in PERFECT condition. I personally know the owner and he wants $7700.

The other option is a 2006 660 w/ custom orange plastic, extra set of camo plastic with extended fenders, ITP rims, tires stock and dual exhaust systems
rhino lined frame, 1/2 windshield, doors, CD/radio/MP3 player with wave runner speaker, 4 point harnesses, cup holders and a 4000 lb winch. He wants 7300 but claims he needs to install new wheel bearings prior to selling. It is definetly not in as good condition and mileage is unkown with no digital dash. Looks like it has been wheeled hard. Anything I need to watch for?

THose are options A and B and my movers would be transporting it to AZ for me. Or should I take option C and wait until I get out there and find one. They do seem more expensive in AZ though!

Anyone's input is appreciated.

Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:11 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Hmmm that is a tough one...lets start out with the type of riding you will mostly do.

ShootersRealm.com --> www.shootersrealm.com
CommanderTalk.com --> www.commandertalk.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Wide F'n Open

I like where diesel powered is going. To me I think option A sounds pretty good.... But then again you maybe able to shop around and find a good deal on a used rhino that already has a 4 seat cage on it, and perhaps some upgraded suspension.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:14 PM
CommanderTalk.com

I am kinda liking option A as well...but wanted to see what kinda riding he is mostly going to do as Arizona may have a lot of other Rhinos for sale with more equipment that he would use.

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Mostly trail riding with the wife and kids I would say. I will do some real wheeling evey now and again, but not often. I will also do some hunting in it...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:19 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Ok so you are going to be mostly trails...dunes?? Yes, no??

For trail riding I am thinking option A, gives you a great start with a clean machine. You can add options, but will really kick yourself if you buy a piece of junk and you do not know anything about the other machine.

Also, one thing jumped out at me when you said hunting, option B has an aftermarket exhaust...likely too loud for hunting ya know.

You will find a lot of the machines in AZ are modified, especially for the dunes...with that comes a price. $7700 for a babied machine that you know the owner...I think you are looking pretty good.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Good call I think...I will most likely go with that. I like B, but I am nervous it has been abused. The wheel bearings are a bad sign I would think. Thanks for the advice, you pretty much helped me make my mind up!

Oh, and as far as dunes, I have no idea what there are for dunes out there yet! It would be nice.

Now, any suggestions on a rear seat/cage setup? I see the ones on e-bay, but I am not sure about them, any other options? SOrry to be such a PITA, but I want to do it right the first time.

I'll probably get your replies in the am, going to bed in a minute (east coast time right now!)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:26 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Get your machine first then get it out here to AZ...a lot of great fabricators here as well as in Cali that can hook you up with a cage.

As far as the options, it is up to you...like I said, something to think about is the exhaust and hunting as well as the fact that you state the machine looks like it has been beat up.

As far as the dunes...well hmmm, lets see if we can get some others to describe those for you

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Wide F'n Open

I would wait till you move to AZ so you can experience MotherG.... then youll want a stretched out dunner, Guaranteed!

Pro-One GlasslHRT 2-seaterlPRP 4-point harnesslPRP High BackslDRD dualslDRD fuel management
Machined sheavelDynateck ECUlXMF +6l2-4" 3-7" HID's
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:52 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Of course, there is always the long travel route...but you mentioned that there was a budget involved as well. I am sure you are familiar with long travel setups, however, here is an example. This is my Teryx, but you get the point.

One thing I will tell you about the AZ desert....or even the trail riding up north for that matter...at night, it is WAY DARK! I would suggest looking into some HID lighting as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement