Torque limiting front drive line - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Yamaha Rhino.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

Torque limiting front drive line

I have a 2006 Grizzly and a Brand new Rhino. I have used the Grizzly beyond it's functional designs on my ranch, and for hunting for many years now without any problems or issues.

I need the front diff lock almost daily during hunting seasons and very frequently on the ranch. I could not own a machine with out this Locking diff feature. Which is why I bought the griz over the honda in 2006.

Ok so now I have this new 2013 Rhino. The issue for me is the way the front diff locks and acts. which is 100% different then the Grizzly system. I believe they are the same design and function, However the Rhino is doing some bizarre locking clunking.

When the Grizzly is in 4X4 and diff lock those four tires will turn and dig straight down into the earth when forward progress is not possible. Even pulling up to a tree, or chaining the back to something immobile. All four always turn in diff lock, low range

On the Rhino, in 4X4 without diff lock the front axle/diff will screech and clunk and the tires will turn and stop and dig and swap back and forth between tires and clunk and churn and screech and make a hella racket while they are trying to get traction. When I push the diff lock button, the screeching and clunking stop, and they both turn, but will stop turning from time to time and have only the back turning. That is a big problem for me. Is this torque limit the cause of the front to stop turning? Is it also quite noisy?

This happened again today in freshly disked soil I was pulling a little trailer with some tools in it, that whole trailer loaded was under 400 lbs or so. It's a small dual axle trailer with ATV tires on it. While crossing the plowed field the front axle was doing the screech and clunk, I initially thought the diff blew up. But the tires were actually searching for something to grab.

I pushed diff lock and climbed right out of that and just kept going. What the heck is the screeching and banging clunking racket?

I also have a 1977 Toyota Land cruiser with front and rear lockers and they make a hella racket when they lock up. This reminds me very much of that feeling ( and sound). But this Rhino is only limited slip. Is the clutch in the diff screeching and slipping or banging when the limited slip locks up? Is this the torque limit device?

Anyway, long story. It's a much different system then the Grizzly for sure. For example, the Grizzly can be pulled up to a tree and given the gas in Low range diff lock and it will dig straight down with all four tires. The Rhino shows a desire to move forward, but will not turn the tires it just revs up and you can see the tires want to turn but they cannot. What a shame this seems to have less torque then my old 4 wheeler!

Is this proper function? Is the transmission belt screeching not the diff? does this happen when its too loose? Why no tire churning power in low range? That really sucks. Whats the clunking and banging in the front diff / drive line?

Unloaded and used for climbing, this thing goes anyplace with the front diff working flawlessly, loaded or pulling a trailer something it definitely slipping or becoming disengaged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement