What parts do I need to carry on long rides - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Yamaha Rhino.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

What parts do I need to carry on long rides

I just bought a 2008 Rhino, I am retired, and have already been on weekday solo rides 20 miles from my truck. So, I am looking for advice about what spare electrical or fuel delivery parts I should be carrying to keep me from having to walk out. I am carrying a good set of tools, and I have tire repair covered. I am already carrying common stuff like fuses and a spare spark plug, but I see several electical relays that could be an issue...and probably other things that I haven't even thought about...How dependable are the ignition and fuel injection systems on this unit...and are there parts I should just have on board for long trips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 09:44 PM
1/4 Throttle

If you ride without others, you need to carry a spare belt, and know how to replace it, and have the tools required to do so. I've had to replace two while way out in the boonies. I also carry a jump starter in case the battery fails, or for some reason runs dead. Other bitems would be a cell phone charger, fire extinguisher, MRE's, drinking water, flashlights, portable air horn, and I sometimes take a pistol. Nice to have a winch too. Good luck
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 09:45 PM
1/4 Throttle

I have a 2009 Rhino 700 with 8500 kilometers on it and 530 hours. In the time I have owned it the only things I have broken so far are :

Lost the lug nuts/studs on the right front wheel. Not sure why but was carrying some spare studs/lug nuts. 30 Mins to fix and back on trail.
I have broken both back axles on two separate rides. Was able to drive back to truck.
Have never had a belt failure but am on my third belt as a maintenance item I have changed. I always have one at the truck/camper. I inspect it at least once every year.
Relays have never let me down but a spare would be a good idea.
Fuses as well as tools,tape,tug strap, clevis's,straps ,flashlight,wire, zap straps, oil,etc.
You will have to build an emergency kit yourself that works with the Rhino.
Tire repair kit (lots of plugs)with pump an essential.
mini jumpers.
Extra gas for long trips. Go pro or equivalent to film while riding.

You will always need something you don't have.
Be safe and have fun.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 09:14 PM
1/4 Throttle

Dean

I'm also retired... Take long runs at least twice a month {100+ miles} in
addition to other sugestions...NEVER...NEVER...BUT NEVER...ride alone. We ride the Mojave Desert in CA. & NV. Mountains of Utah & deer hunt in WY. Someone WILL break down at some point! Good luck and slow down!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement