Wrote a letter to the Forest Supervisor today...Big Bear was a dude - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Yamaha Rhino.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Wrote a letter to the Forest Supervisor today...Big Bear was a dude

Thought I'd share a letter I'm sending out today....More and more trails are going to be closed if we don't try and do something about it..

Jeanne Wade Evans, Forest Supervisor,

My wife and I had planned our Big Bear vacation for several months. We had heard about all of the riding trails in the mountains where we could drive our UTV.

Needless to say, we were very disappointed and don’t plan on going back up to Big Bear for any OHV activities in the future unless there are some changes. The staff at the Discovery Center in Fawnskin was very friendly and gave us good directions on how to trailer our UTV to the legal riding areas. We bought our Adventure Pass and took a Ranger’s advice on traveling to the Big Pine area using Van Dusen Rd as it was graded better.

The wife and I were on Van Dusen Rd for about 3 miles before we stopped. The road is absolutely TERRIBLE for a pull vehicle and trailer….and gets much WORSE further into the 13 mile trip to the Big Pine area. It would have taken us HOURS to get to Big Pine with the trailer and there were parts of the road that my 14’ trailer would have never made it through.

If you’re going to force people to trailer their vehicle 13 miles on a road designed for off road vehicles (NOT TRAILERS) then maintain that road! Otherwise, open up these roads for OHV vehicles, or at least one of the roads, so we can get back to the legal areas to ride. The way things are set-up now, one would think it was designed to PREVENT people from legally getting to the OHV trails.

Another issue I would raise it the signage once you reach the OHV trail areas. We ended up turning back because one sign would say it was a legal OHV trail, and then 20’ further up the trail was a large white and red sign saying no OHV passed this point.

I’ll be sending this letter out to anyone I think will listen in hopes that someone will either grade a drivable road for a pull vehicle and trailer to the riding areas, or at least open ONE of the MANY fire roads in Big Bear to make it reasonably accessible for someone to get to the OHV areas.

I know in the areas where I live (San Diego) the OHV areas have graded roads or paved roads to pull your trailer on. Why don’t you have that in such a popular tourist area such as Big Bear? Does Big Bear and/or the Forest Service area not need the money people would spend if the green sticker riding area’s were accessible? There are a large number of people who own green sticker ATV’s, UTV’s and motorcycles who would love to travel this area, legally. Those people will bring money to the area for all of the lodges, rentals and Adventure Pass purchases.

Please make some sort of change that would allow us to get to the legal riding areas!

Sincerely,

Dale

Cc:
Big Bear Ranger Station
Jeanne Wade Evans, Forest Supervisor
Kurt Winchester, District Ranger
CORVA
CLORV

I'm also going to include a link to this thread on the letter (once I post it). If you have a jeep or a street legal off-road motorcycle....Big Bear is great. If you have a green sticker vehicle and want to ride legal....I suggest you pass on Big Bear unless you want to destroy your trailer trying to get out there.

Here's a some pics... from our trip. I wish I could have stopped to take more from the fire roads where the forest wasn't all burned out (that were really nice to ride on BTW). I just wanted to get back to my truck before a Ranger came around the corner....

If anyone has a jeep or street plated off-road vehicle, I've got a really nice cabin I can point you too.

Mod....can you change the topic title from "dude" to "dud"? I'm an idiot....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1774.jpg (96.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1776.jpg (96.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1778.jpg (96.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1780.jpg (97.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1784.jpg (96.1 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by AlpineSandToys; 08-13-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Wide F'n Open

i usually stage at cactus flats, its more rv friendly, then you just have to ride up into big bear from there, its down the backside a lil ways..

dont buy my video. it sucks anyway!!!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

I see cactus flats on the map, but the Ranger told me there was a lot more riding at Big Pine....and you can't legaly travel from Cactus Flats to Big Pine...at least, not on the maps I have.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Founding Ninja

Post up there response if you get one Dale.

BTW I replied to your temp sensor Q on the other thread.

Rog

Benchmark Performance 686, 67.6 RWHP
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSandToys View Post
I see cactus flats on the map, but the Ranger told me there was a lot more riding at Big Pine....and you can't legaly travel from Cactus Flats to Big Pine...at least, not on the maps I have.
there is some areas that you have to say F it and hope you dont see a ranger, if you get caught its only a $75 ticket

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

I can deal with a $75 fine...but I don't want the point on my insurance. It's a moving violation.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
I can deal with a $75 fine...but I don't want the point on my insurance. It's a moving violation.
depends on what ticket you get. i just got one for ohv in a non-ohv zone and it wasnt a point.. if you get it from a city cop, it might be. you will only see blm rangers out there.. i lived in big bear for 8 years out of high school and the leos are pretty mellow if your cool to them. ive been let off with a warning probably like 8 times..

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Well, I just spent the last couple of hours trying to figure out a way to get my Rhino CA plated.....and I think I may have found the legal way to do it right. I just got off the phone with the guy and am sending him the $$ and paperwork to get it done. If I get this done, I'll be reserving the Big Bear Cabin again!

I'll let you know what happens! He said it takes about 3 weeks to process.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 05:55 PM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Well, I just spent the last couple of hours trying to figure out a way to get my Rhino CA plated.....and I think I may have found the legal way to do it right. I just got off the phone with the guy and am sending him the $$ and paperwork to get it done. If I get this done, I'll be reserving the Big Bear Cabin again!

I'll let you know what happens! He said it takes about 3 weeks to process.
you might be able to get away with it up there. most cops by my house will still pull you over quick...

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 07:54 PM
RhinoTalk.net Site Sponsor

I have noticed the same thing with Silverwood. i tried to ride from silverwood to bigbear and they close off the trails. They dont want you to be able to make that connection. they keep the Silverwwod loops real small and like Blake said you have to hit the streets to make it. There is no way to get to BigBear and even from Bigbear they keep the loops real small and back to your parking spot at Bigbear? I dont get what they are doing. Let us know about the Ca legal thing. thanks

Benchmark Performance 760-484-0986
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100
BYC Motorsports
Sponsored Links
Advertisement