Big motors and stock clutches? - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino Performance Discussions Yamaha Rhino performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
1/2 Throttle

Big motors and stock clutches?

Ok I just want to see who out there is building big or high hp motors and using stock clutch setup? I have a pdm but want to try and see how a bigger motor would run with stock clutches.My question is what spring ,wieght rollers,size of motor and what rpm it runs wonder how long a belt is going to last I put together a 760 with a epi severe duty belt a brand new wet clutch a kms sheeve with 12 gram rollers and a pdm purple spring suppost to be same as a orange epi it turns 7600rpm on the street it will puff a pretty good smoke cloud out of the clutch front tube on hard take off just wondering who out there has ran a clutch setup like this don't want to go to the dunes and burn a belt up in a few hours?

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission buy now ask later

Last edited by King of Bling; 08-22-2008 at 12:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:50 PM
Red Cup Ninja

sorry kob I just dont get it. if you have a pdm clutch there's no need to play with the wet clutch weights and springs. you can tune a wet clutch all day long and it won't compare to a dry clutch because of the slippage you will still have with it. a dry clutch transfers much more of the hp to the ground.

Fuck'em and feed'em cabbageI have found the richer your friends are.....the more they want you to suck their asses.......I guess these fools havent figured out yet I dont suck ass ~ the bigg anonymous
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
1/2 Throttle

This is true I know. I just want to get a feel for how they will do I have built a few big motors here in oregon all have had pdm's It would be easier to sell a motor job if they could buy the motor and see if the stock clutches will work for them then to factor in another $1400 dollars for a clutch on top of the price of building a motor I know Brian from aci has built quite a few stock clutch motors that run dam good I have even had him do a setup for a turboed rhino we did at the shop I just can't sell that to a customer unless I have ran that setup and seen how it went. Got to keep the customers happy.
Also here in Oregon we don't do a lot of wide open running we play quite a bit a Idle speed through trails and beach grass and a pdm isn't real friendly on the slow uphill starts kind of to positive of an engagement. Always trying something new to suit our needs.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 06:59 AM
Red Cup Ninja

oh i see, makes sense now. yea droppin another $1,400.00 was kinda tough pill to swallow for me too. btw your avatar is fuckin killin me

Fuck'em and feed'em cabbageI have found the richer your friends are.....the more they want you to suck their asses.......I guess these fools havent figured out yet I dont suck ass ~ the bigg anonymous
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 07:26 AM
Founding Ninja

King OF Bling....Just want to say thanks for posting buddy!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Follow the Underground on Twitter
http://twitter.com/UTVUnderground#/UTVUnderground
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Founding Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Bling View Post
Ok I just want to see who out there is building big or high hp motors and using stock clutch setup? I have a pdm but want to try and see how a bigger motor would run with stock clutches.My question is what spring ,wieght rollers,size of motor and what rpm it runs wonder how long a belt is going to last I put together a 760 with a epi severe duty belt a brand new wet clutch a kms sheeve with 12 gram rollers and a pdm purple spring suppost to be same as a orange epi it turns 7600rpm on the street it will puff a pretty good smoke cloud out of the clutch front tube on hard take off just wondering who out there has ran a clutch setup like this don't want to go to the dunes and burn a belt up in a few hours?

The only thing you did not mention was the internal wet clutch springs and weights. did you have those also? 7600 rpms seems very safe to me for that motor BTW.

Rog

Benchmark Performance 686, 67.6 RWHP
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Wide F'n Open

After spending way too much money on all of this the only advantage of keeping the wet clutch that I can see is engine braking and belt life.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 08:45 AM
B&A
1/4 Throttle

We ran a silver spring with 14 gram wieghts and it turned 7100 and ran 73mph.When we would set it up for short course we would put in the 12 gram wieghts but then we would start burning up belts after lenght of time.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
1/2 Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&A View Post
We ran a silver spring with 14 gram wieghts and it turned 7100 and ran 73mph.When we would set it up for short course we would put in the 12 gram wieghts but then we would start burning up belts after lenght of time.
What motor was that on and how long would belts last?

Thanks Robert

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
1/2 Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07fj View Post
The only thing you did not mention was the internal wet clutch springs and weights. did you have those also? 7600 rpms seems very safe to me for that motor BTW.

Rog
No, the wet clutch is completly stock I didn't decide to do this till a couple days ago I was going to us the pdm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement