Steering failure: close to catastrophic - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino Performance Discussions Yamaha Rhino performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

Steering failure: close to catastrophic

While we were at Calico this weekend, I took my buddy for a ride in the Rhino so he could check out the LT in some big whoops right outside of camp.

About 100 feet before we got to them, the steering wheel twirled in my hand. I came to a stop, thinking the worst: broken rack.

Turns out, the steering shaft was stripped-out, but only about 1/8th of an inch down. The rest of the splines were clean. WTF?

Looked at the splines on the steering shaft of my Pro Precision tilt wheel, they're clean, but look slightly tapered. WTF?

So I'm thinking that I'm just gonna put a stock steering system back on so I won't have to worry about it ever again...but steering shafts are on a national backorder. Fuck me.

Called Pro Precision today, turns out they were sold a bad batch of splined steering shafts from a former supplier. They varied by .030 from top to bottom, so only a small portion of the splines were actually engaged.

Good news:
It failed in a safe spot, and not on some ride where I could have been seriously hurt...or worse.

More good news:
Gary, the owner of Pro Precision, was INCREDIBLY COOL about it. I told him the story about how I bought the Rhino used...he's knows the guy I bought it from. And he's gonna warranty it free of charge. I told him that I didn't mind paying for the repair, since it's a used Rhino. But he insisted that he stands behind his product, and will make it right. He even offered to fix my Yamaha steering shaft that's all stripped out.

He's got a new supplier, and the new shafts are much better.

Great customer service from Pro Precision.
They're SoCal local in Banning. I highly recommend them as a stand-up place to do business with.
Pro Precision

'07 Rhino 660 * Mason LT * Elka Elites * Ron Woods exhaust * 38.2 hp on the Pro Shop's Dyno * LiveWire Whip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Founding Ninja

thats good stuff right there.....except for the shaft...but better before the whoops then half way through them wide open!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Follow the Underground on Twitter
http://twitter.com/UTVUnderground#/UTVUnderground
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 08:19 PM

Glad you are ok Rob

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

These guys are in my back yard and I didnt even know it..... This is a small town so I dont know how I missed them....

What else do they do? Have you done any other work with them?

2006 Rhino 660
BRP Stage 2 CDI
UTVCrap Sheave
4 Seat Cage w/42" Rear PRP Seat
ITP T-7C Wheels (5+2 front offset & 2+5 Rear)
Big Horn Tires (25x8x12 & 25x10x12)
LSR MTS +3 Mid Travel Kit
Bilstein Shocks w/ Eibach Springs 250lb front & 400lb rear
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...BRP_Avatar.jpg http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...avatar/byc.jpg http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...r/uutv1211.jpg
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Wide F'n Open

Glad to hear it happened somewhere safe.

WEAR IT.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 09:27 PM

I am the Az supplier for Pro precision for those who do notknow this. I am sorry this happened but also glad you are ok.
he is correct in having the bad batch as i have dealt with this on my BOSS"S Rhino as well. he too was ok.
Nevetheless, Gary is a great guy and WE do stand behind these 100%!
Gary is the one who put me up for 2 days and had my diesel towed last October when the motor blew up coming home from the Pomona show with a complete booth full of product and my Rhino. He and his wife Julie are great people and I am glad to hear good words. Didn't want to have to puff up my chest here...LOL
If you guys ever need anything or have any questions regarding Pro Precision products feel fre to call me or pm and I can help you. I will direct all CA sales to Gary, but will be more than helpful with product info..

Dorian
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockymom63 View Post
Glad you are ok Rob
Thanks Barb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef View Post
These guys are in my back yard and I didnt even know it..... This is a small town so I dont know how I missed them....

What else do they do? Have you done any other work with them?
From checking out their website, they make and sell all sorts of stuff for SxS and sand cars.

I need a mirror so I think I'm gonna buy one from them. Seems like a great product with affordable replacement glass, so you don't have to trash the whole mirror if you break/scratch it.

I have no problem doing business with companies like this, and will definitely look to them for anything I need

'07 Rhino 660 * Mason LT * Elka Elites * Ron Woods exhaust * 38.2 hp on the Pro Shop's Dyno * LiveWire Whip
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 05:12 AM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger v View Post
Glad to hear it happened somewhere safe.
Yeah, glad you didn't get stranded out in the middle of nowhere, or worse get hurt. It's good though that they are making it right.

One hour from Glamis!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 09:03 AM

If it had to happen,Glad that happend right out of the campsite. I was at Calico this last weekend, and I also was breaking in my new LT. I will never let my familly ride in a stocker again.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Wide F'n Open

ITS ALWAYS GOOD TO HEAR ABOUT A COMPANY THAT STANDS BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS.

futsa!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement