Crank Replacement - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino Performance Discussions Yamaha Rhino performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
3/4 Throttle

Crank Replacement

My lowe crank bearing has seized and the crank is not locked up but there is some discoloration and it does not move freely. Can this be repaired and a new connecting rod put on? or does the whole crank and rod need to be replaced ?

If not repairable, I am looking at having a hotcrank with aftermarket connecting rod installed to fix this thing. I am being quoted 1800 for the job. When I look at part costs it seems expensive.

My top end is fine so I am looking at a couple options, any input would be appreciated.

#1- Replace crank and connecting rod and leave top end alone

#2- Replace crank and connecting rod, go up to a 10-1 piston and install a stage 2 hot cam

I am running a fmf dual exhaust, CDI, Intake, Stock Carb

Any suggestions on what this should cost, whether there will be much of a difference in power from #1 to #2 and what you think option 2 will do to reliability???

Thanks for the Help!!

Also what are the better shops in LV for this stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Wide F'n Open

If your in Cal go to Benchmark and if AZ go to Weller.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 06:05 PM
RhinoTalk.net Site Sponsor

GO TO SANDCRAZED, Mush will tell you....

If you live in Vegas and need a General Contractor...call Manning Construction @ 497-5127

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Wreckin' Shop

Blueing on the end of the crank is normal. They heat them up to put em together. If you are ding the job yourself send the crank to crankworks for repair. I new rod/pin/bearing can be put on. I wouldnt touch a hotrods crank. I have never heard anything good about them.

While you are inside you need to throw the stock cast piston in the garbage....I would go with a CP piston with a DLC coated pin.Also when you are in the bottom end you should replace the center drive support plate.

If you having a shop do the work....my first stop would be benchmark,or Proshop. Good luck

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

BOOYAA

Juggstalk.net.....because we dont sell phone no MO!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Wide F'n Open

If it's a 660 I'd put a new rod in there in addition to what Big Jim says...and prolly bump it up to a 686 while you're there.

If it's a 700 then the stock rod is OK...but I'd still bump the displacement.

Another vote for The Pro Shop in CA.

'07 Rhino 660 * Mason LT * Elka Elites * Ron Woods exhaust * 38.2 hp on the Pro Shop's Dyno * LiveWire Whip
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Founding Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese View Post
My lowe crank bearing has seized and the crank is not locked up but there is some discoloration and it does not move freely. Can this be repaired and a new connecting rod put on? or does the whole crank and rod need to be replaced ?

If not repairable, I am looking at having a hotcrank with aftermarket connecting rod installed to fix this thing. I am being quoted 1800 for the job. When I look at part costs it seems expensive.

My top end is fine so I am looking at a couple options, any input would be appreciated.

#1- Replace crank and connecting rod and leave top end alone

#2- Replace crank and connecting rod, go up to a 10-1 piston and install a stage 2 hot cam

I am running a fmf dual exhaust, CDI, Intake, Stock Carb

Any suggestions on what this should cost, whether there will be much of a difference in power from #1 to #2 and what you think option 2 will do to reliability???

Thanks for the Help!!

Also what are the better shops in LV for this stuff
The crank can be rebuilt, no problem.
A better rod would be great, but not absolutely necessary. Make sure to have the counterbalance drive welded so that it doesn't spin on the crank.
Use genuine Yamaha bearings and crank pin.
Like the others have said, don't mess with the Hot Rods crank.
#2 will give a nice increase in performance. If you don't run the engine out of oil, these mods won't hurt reliability at all. You also need to make sure you run the engine on at least Premium grade fuel.

Like BiggJim says, a CP piston with the DLC pin would be a big improvement. I bet your stock rod has galling on the small end. Probably the piston pin too. Look closely at it.
The DLC pin will eliminate that issue.

Benchmark Performance
760-484-0986
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Wide F'n Open

The DLC pin will eliminate that issue.[/QUOTE]

What is the DLC coating, and where would one find such a pin....
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 09:56 PM
RhinoTalk.net Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2k1 View Post
The crank can be rebuilt, no problem.
A better rod would be great, but not absolutely necessary. Make sure to have the counterbalance drive welded so that it doesn't spin on the crank.
Use genuine Yamaha bearings and crank pin.
Like the others have said, don't mess with the Hot Rods crank.
#2 will give a nice increase in performance. If you don't run the engine out of oil, these mods won't hurt reliability at all. You also need to make sure you run the engine on at least Premium grade fuel.

Like BiggJim says, a CP piston with the DLC pin would be a big improvement. I bet your stock rod has galling on the small end. Probably the piston pin too. Look closely at it.
Listen to this advice ...

If you live in Vegas and need a General Contractor...call Manning Construction @ 497-5127
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Wreckin' Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by funk6294 View Post

What is the DLC coating, and where would one find such a pin....[/QUOTE]

I got mine from benchmark......I dont know if anyone else is doing them or not. The small end of your rod is basicly working off of spash oiling. The coated pin prevents galling

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

BOOYAA

Juggstalk.net.....because we dont sell phone no MO!!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Wide F'n Open

Thanks BiggJim!!! Well I guess I will be contacting them when it comes piston swap time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement