Stuck without an engine, help!
Things aren't looking to good. I had my engine built up to a 686 and it blew a rod about 2 months later. I've been back and forth with Alba over the last couple of days and the only explanation that I've gotten, in many different ways, is that, due to "OEM component failure" the rod snapped and blew through the cases, shredding through multiple components on it's way out.
Unfortunately, I really don't know all that much about engines.....so I haven't had much of an argument. In their explanation, I was told that Yamaha engines were natorious for this type of issue. For whatever reason, the rods have proven themselves to be a weak component in the engine and, other than upgrading to a heavier duty aftermarkent version, there was really no way to tell if or when it would ever happen. If that was the case, I would think that they would have recommended upgrading the stock rod in their long list of other recomended upgrades to do while building up to their 686 kit.
Fortunately, I have insurance on the rhino.....but guess what, my agent is basically giving the big hairy middle finger. According to him, the policy isn't meant to cover mechanical failure; however, if it was a result of some type of accident, wink wink, then I might have a viable claim.
So, as it stands, I'm stuck with an engineless rhino and a huge parts and labor list ($7,250.00).
What do you guys think? At this point I obviously need an engine. I'd hate to go back to stock with a used 660 but I know it would probably be the least expensive route. Shitty part about that......I know that before the 686, I was always let down with the lack of power.
I could pay to have my engine rebuilt back up but I honestly feel that I'm being over charged for the repairs. The engine ran incredibly, for the one trip I had it for, but I can't see paying the $7,250.00. If I do decide to get it rebuilt, I'll more than likely end up taking it to Chris @ Benchmark for a second opinion. I've heard really good things about his builds and feel confident that he could get me back on my feet.
Honestly, for that kind of money, I'd rather get nuts deep into a full on swap to a rotax 800. I spoke with a couple of the guys from here on the forum and if my math is right, I'd probably be out around the same amount of money. Atleast with the rotax, I wouldn't have to worry about the reliability issues associated with a 686 type of build.
Help me out guys! I really don't know what do. I'd really appreciate any help or advice. If any of you can point me in the right direction....let me know.