Stuck without an engine, help! - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino Performance Discussions Yamaha Rhino performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Stuck without an engine, help!

Things aren't looking to good. I had my engine built up to a 686 and it blew a rod about 2 months later. I've been back and forth with Alba over the last couple of days and the only explanation that I've gotten, in many different ways, is that, due to "OEM component failure" the rod snapped and blew through the cases, shredding through multiple components on it's way out.

Unfortunately, I really don't know all that much about engines.....so I haven't had much of an argument. In their explanation, I was told that Yamaha engines were natorious for this type of issue. For whatever reason, the rods have proven themselves to be a weak component in the engine and, other than upgrading to a heavier duty aftermarkent version, there was really no way to tell if or when it would ever happen. If that was the case, I would think that they would have recommended upgrading the stock rod in their long list of other recomended upgrades to do while building up to their 686 kit.

Fortunately, I have insurance on the rhino.....but guess what, my agent is basically giving the big hairy middle finger. According to him, the policy isn't meant to cover mechanical failure; however, if it was a result of some type of accident, wink wink, then I might have a viable claim.

So, as it stands, I'm stuck with an engineless rhino and a huge parts and labor list ($7,250.00).

What do you guys think? At this point I obviously need an engine. I'd hate to go back to stock with a used 660 but I know it would probably be the least expensive route. Shitty part about that......I know that before the 686, I was always let down with the lack of power.

I could pay to have my engine rebuilt back up but I honestly feel that I'm being over charged for the repairs. The engine ran incredibly, for the one trip I had it for, but I can't see paying the $7,250.00. If I do decide to get it rebuilt, I'll more than likely end up taking it to Chris @ Benchmark for a second opinion. I've heard really good things about his builds and feel confident that he could get me back on my feet.

Honestly, for that kind of money, I'd rather get nuts deep into a full on swap to a rotax 800. I spoke with a couple of the guys from here on the forum and if my math is right, I'd probably be out around the same amount of money. Atleast with the rotax, I wouldn't have to worry about the reliability issues associated with a 686 type of build.

Help me out guys! I really don't know what do. I'd really appreciate any help or advice. If any of you can point me in the right direction....let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Founding Ninja

I would definatly go with the rotax, its a no brainer.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 07:07 AM
Founding Ninja

That sucks for sure, hey Chris there is another ALBA motor for ya to rebuild maybe.

Ask Chris for an estimate and then make your decision.

Rog

Benchmark Performance 686, 67.6 RWHP
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 07:10 AM
RhinoTalk.net Site Sponsor

I went with a rotax cause I knew I would be headed to the same place your at right now. I sold my engine while it was still good.
You might have a real good chance of finding a used quad with the market being the way it is.
or you could buy a new quad and use the engine, if you get it from desertdog, the engine comes with a 3 year warranty. if you rebuild a rhino engine, it doesn't even come with a 3 minute warranty.
I've beat the crap out of mine and it runs just as strong as the day it was finished and it isn't doing anything more than the factory made it to do.
it really is a no brainer

VictoryGardenshydro.com
WeedConnect.net,get connected
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, my next step is definitely going to be to get a quote from Chris. I'd be dumb not to.

Because of the reliability issue, I'm really leaning towards the rotax. Luckily, Magnum is getting ready to start offering the swap.....so I'll probably end up going with them. Gives me enough time to start shopping around for an engine.

I found a '06 Outlander with 250 miles on it for $6,800.00. Does that sound like a fair price? Do you think it would be better to stay away from an older motor and continue looking for a newer model?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 07:49 AM

sorry to hear about your loss;; R I P 686 but really that sucks a motor builder like Alba will sell you 7k worth of shit to make a 686, they should make it mandatory or part of the deal on the rod and crank, if it is so common to go like thath why would they even build like that anyways.

rotax bro, and that too is the same reason i never bothered to 686 my motor, mines in the shop right now will cost me about 6500.00 with a wrecked quad, and thats before i sell a single part, i will re-coupe a minumum of half of that back in the resale of old parts.

2007 3 seater razor eater
H-Town Performance for all your custom cage/bumper applications 702-564-7306
Mr. RPM BBK
Rigid E-Series
H-Town cage & bumper
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Well, the original 686 build cost me a little less than $4 G's. So it wasn't the $7 G's that they're charging me now. Unfortunately, it's like I took a step backwards. Rather than only having to redo some the mods thats were just performed....I'm having to pay for a whole bunch of other misc. items that were destroyed as well.

I tossed around the idea of doing the rotax swap to begin with but I honestly thought it was kind of crazy. But now, all I can say is "Shoulda....Coulda....Woulda". This is the first time I honestly feel sick about the money I'm having to spend to get this thing back on the road.

Mush, where did you look to find the wrecked quad with rotax?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 08:02 AM
Wide F'n Open

I would of thought that they would have done some kind of NDT on the parts that they were going to reuse in your build....Maybe a substandard shop?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhc-6 View Post
I would of thought that they would have done some kind of NDT on the parts that they were going to reuse in your build....Maybe a substandard shop?
What's "NDT"?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 08:06 AM

one of the other members on RF. is where i found mine, or check crashedtoys.com or in craigslist

2007 3 seater razor eater
H-Town Performance for all your custom cage/bumper applications 702-564-7306
Mr. RPM BBK
Rigid E-Series
H-Town cage & bumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement