This is for anyone who has done the Rotax Swap. - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino Performance Discussions Yamaha Rhino performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
1/2 Throttle

This is for anyone who has done the Rotax Swap.

Hi all, I have driven a Rhino and a RZR. I love my Rhino. Just like everyone else I need more power. I would like someone to tell me, realistically, how does your swap compare to the RZR. To me the RZR was just fine for the dunes. Maybe it could use just a touch more power, but I could live with it. Does the Rotax swap put me there? I would like to hear from you. Please no hype about how you can kill anything in the dunes, just a real account of how you feel the swap is doing for you.

Thanks

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 01:29 PM
RhinoTalk.net Site Sponsor

Hey Tom,

I ride the dunes with Max Powers with his Rotax swap. keep in mind his is dialed in. He has a blast of torgue that is what set his apart from my view following him. He can motor straight up Oldsmobile hill pretty fast for example.

Max Powers is on a fishing trip right now, i am sue he will chime in when he returns. I know there are more Rotax out there. Warlock, Controled Force. Laidbackduner there are more here I just cant think of them right now. Safety meeting going on and all.

Benchmark Performance 760-484-0986
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100
BYC Motorsports

Last edited by Hapa; 07-19-2008 at 01:37 PM.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Founding Ninja

Hapa asked me to add my 2 cents to this topic. Unfortunately, I haven't worked on or driven any Rotax powered side x sides.

I think you have to weigh out the cost versus benefit. For me, I don't think a Rotax swap would be all that great. Even with selling the unused Rhino parts, it is going to cost money. And, all the while, your Rhino is getting older. Meanwhile, despite the economy, mfr's will continue to develop new and improved machines. I think if money is no object, go for it. If resale value is considered, i'm guessing it will be a money losing situation. However, can you put a price on your fun?

When it comes down to it, we all have different goals, values, and budgets. Do whatever makes the most sense to you.
Good luck and have fun!

Benchmark Performance
760-484-0986

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Wreckin' Shop

Before I dumped all the compression out of my motor (686 12:5:1) I had no problems mobing the dunes as fast as a RZR. Keep in mind at that time you didnt see much long traveled ones so I did have an advantage suspension wise but none the less it can be done. This also wasnt a driver issue because the guy i was chasing around was a proffesional driver. Now i droped my compression I havent had a chance to run the dunes with a rzr yet.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 10:11 PM
RhinoTalk.net Site Sponsor

I have only been beat by 1 rzr and it had a $5,200 turbo on it that hasn't had the reliability tested yet.
For me, it was the best thing I did to my rhino. IT dune"s like a buggy, most of the time I am only using 1/4 throttle.
The best way to describe it is, when your riding a quad, your not always at full throttle, but when you need the power, it's there. The rhino drives just like that with the rotax. It has more than enough power to get you into trouble fast.

VictoryGardenshydro.com
WeedConnect.net,get connected
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Wide F'n Open

I would have to recomend the rotax swap if you already have a built rhino vs buying a new one and starting over. Depending on what kind of riding you like to do, a stock rhino motor is fine for cruising most fire roads or trails,but if the dunes are your main riding place I would do the Rotax swap. It has all of the best features anyone could ask for,v-twin,fuel injected, cvt tranny,3year warranty if bought new,62hp bone stock reliability,and its quiet. Yes you can have a built up 660 that will run great but its still just a carbureated single cylinder,tail light warranty when you leave the shop you own it if she blows,and obnixiously loud exhaust. must upgrade to larger radiator to. Some people have ther own reasons for different motor ideas.If your doing it for resale you wont recoup your money,kind of like building a hotrod they never sell for what you have in them but theres a price you pay for the enjoyment of doing something you love so whatever works and make you happy just do it. Your not here for a long time just a good time.....
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 11:13 PM
Wide F'n Open

I have to agree with some of the others on the money loss. I am sure you can find ppl that will jump on a motor swapped rhino for sale, but there aren't that many. I think the resale could be lower. I have to suggest to ride in a Rhino that has a well built 686. I think you will be surprised. I have a pipe, carb and 686 w/porting. They have come a long ways in the last 2 years. Their reliability is a lot better. The price is cheap if you do it yourself. Were talking $2K. It is not going to have 60HP, but is very capable and won't leave you yearning for more like the stock 660. The first 686 I drove I was not impressed. I wouldn't have spent a dime to do one and I didn't. When I drove the second 686 months later I was bummed in 10 seconds and didn't even want to drive my stocker with a pipe. 2 weeks later I reworked mine.

Dustin
Whiplash Racing
Pro Mod UTV #70
2008 Pro Mod and Overall UTV Champion
Snowflake 2007 & 2008 Overall Champion
Alba Racing 686, PDM clutch, LSR XTR[/COLOR]
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Wide F'n Open

swap

I have to disagree with one of the previous posts in reguards to the manufacturers going to upgrade and make them better. My opinion of course, I don't believe that yami is going to make the rhino any faster just because of all the lame lawsuits going on which by the way,are being thrown at kawi and polaris from what I hear. If you want a small chassis like the rhino and it fits your style, the only way to get an 800 or bigger motor in this small package is to do it yourself..I think the lawyers are going to take the steam out of bigger motored smaller chassied sXs's..The only option I feel is for them to build it bigger,wider and longer and it sure as hell wont fit in the bed of your truck. Lets face it,new stuff,toys,cars,boats,trucks,sxs's all tank on their resale,so if you'd like it to be faster,throw in a bigger motor and beat the hell out of it and have fun,but just remember,you'll loose your money on it unless you keep it for a long time and enjoy it..besides,no rzr has a chassis like a stock rhino has,it was built better from the factory and fits the average guy which is more than I can say for the underengineered rzr..so its a good proven platform for a transplant...it will be around for many many years to come,look at the honda Pilots,still all over the dunes and they sold very few of them compared to the rhino sales,it too was a good chassis,just underpowered like a rhino..

rhinos,cars,guns
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
1/2 Throttle

Thanks for all of the replies guys. Here is my dilemma I have a sandcar and a rhino. I have always loved sandcars, but they are very sport specific. As the economy continues to churn, more and more of my friends are going from sandcars to rhino's. Well, to be honest, the rhino just doesn't give that sandcar feeling in the dunes. Here is what I am thinking.....Sell the sandcar and build something like ChopShop did

see here
Someday I Hope To Be A Rhino - GlamisDunes.com

keep the rhino stock and let the girlfriend use it.

My option B is sell the car and rotax the rhino. I will have dough left over, so I can pay off some bills or buy a new trailer, or whatever.

Option C is stay as is and just realize that the rhino is for everywhere but the dunes.

I keep leaning towards A, but with hesitation. I love to create/fabricate, but I always get sidetracked. I am worried that I will start the project and it will end up sitting for 2 years. Then I will be stuck with just a slow 660 and no sandcar.

What would you do?

BTW, we use our rhino's for trail rides, cinders, getting around Rocky Point, San Filepe and so on. I really do love all of the use I get out of it.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Wreckin' Shop

Personally, I think the cost of the rotax swap is redicklious.... 8+ g's for an extra what 30 hp???? I dont think they are all that impressive for the cash.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement