I Give Up! - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino Performance Discussions Yamaha Rhino performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

I Give Up!

I'm just a slow learner. Short version of a long story. Last year I bought a turbo for my 660. got a lot of good advice from this and other forums and even some suggestions that the rhino was not a good platform to do what I wanted to do. Went through all the jetting, etc. and just couldn't make it run right and decided to go with a larger carb. It developed a lot of blow by so pulled it apart and found that one of the ring lans on the stock piston had broken half way around the piston. Decided since I had it down I would bore it to 686 specs (102 mm.), and go with a Hot Cam, etc. Couldn't find an after market piston with a low comression ratio so ended up getting a Weisco with a 9.9:1. (Stock is 9.1:1) Talked to Weisco and they said it would be ok to shave the top off about .020 and that would bring it down to about9.4"1 which they felt would be ok if I didn't run over about 7 lbs. of boost. It ran very strong for a couple of hundred miles. I have a friend with a Rzr that has a big bore kit, etc, throttle body, dual exhaust, etc. He would pull me about 1 bike length so I was pretty happy with my setup... for about 6 runs. It died in it's tracks. Pulled the plug and could see that something had hit the plug and closed the gap so I knew that was not good. On tear down, I found that the Weisco piston had also lost a ring lan and ruined the cylinder and head. I have given up on trying to out run his Rzr and am going back with everything complety stock except for the exhaust. The old saying about if you want to play, you have to pay still holds true! Like my dad used to say "There's nothing wrong with it that money won't fix".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 12:04 PM
1/4 Throttle

Turbo

The guy that I bought my Rhino from went through the exact same thing. His oil dipstick would blow out and oil would puke out. I bought my Rhino with a blown motor. Since then I've done an R1 swap and sweep the floor with RZRs.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

I had thought about the R1 swap before I started this. Concerned about how big of a project it would turn out to be. What did you do about reverse? How did you connect it up to the rear drive? I might still be willing to give it a try if I thought I could pull it off without to big of a hassle. Did you mount it crosswise behind the seats or long wise between the seats? I think I have seen some with the R1 sitting cross wise between the seats. I still need to be able to carry a passenger. Thanks for the info.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 01:21 PM
1/4 Throttle

Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger View Post
I had thought about the R1 swap before I started this. Concerned about how big of a project it would turn out to be. What did you do about reverse? How did you connect it up to the rear drive? I might still be willing to give it a try if I thought I could pull it off without to big of a hassle. Did you mount it crosswise behind the seats or long wise between the seats? I think I have seen some with the R1 sitting cross wise between the seats. I still need to be able to carry a passenger. Thanks for the info.
Well, I spent $4,500 to rebuild and upgrade my 686 motor and it just wasn't reliable enough. So, I sold my entire drivetrain (ebay, craigslist) and got about $4,400 for it. I'd thought about doing a reverse box and not only are they expensive, but I know about three people who keep breaking them. So I decided against it. Besides reverse, the reverse box allows you to virtually gear your rig as low as you want. So if you're not too hard on it, it should work out well for you. Anyway I bought the R1 Engine, complete Weller Racing kit, and did the wiring myself. Probably have about $7,500 into it, but only about $3,000 after selling everything. Of course you will have to modify the cage slightly and upgrade things like steering rack, breaks, tires, etc. My set up is chain driven and I run a carrier w/ sprocket in the rear. It uses VW Type II axles. Oh, and the engine sits sideways between the seats. You can definitely do this on a budget but you have to think about safety. Also, the R1 doesn't like to crawl, so keep that in mind. It's great for the dunes and for lots of generally flat riding. As far as passengers, mine is a four seat R1 Rhino.

These pictures are a bit old. I've since upgraded to Cognito's LT suspension. Night and day difference! I've also upgraded my wheel/tire package.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R1 Rhino 2.jpg (96.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg R1 Rhino.jpg (91.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg R1 Rhino 3.jpg (95.4 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by trunknuts; 08-19-2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Pictures
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

Thanks for the feedback. You have given me something to think about. I have already sunk that kind of money into it and it still needs more. I guess you learn to live without a reverse but I am sure every once in a wihle you can get in a bind and wish you had it. Have you posted any pics. of the conversion anywhere? I find it interesting that you have used the VW axles. I have a friend that has a Porsche shop and that is where I do the work on it. He has been after me to just go ahead and put a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder and tranfer case from a 914 Porsche and that way it would have 5 speeds and a reverse. We have done some measuring and it would take some major cutting and redoing the frame. Just still in the thinking stage. Biggest draw back would be probably loosing the fuel tank and passenger seat because the engine is so wide. Thanks for you ideas.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 09:27 PM
1/4 Throttle

R1 Rhino

Yeah, not having reverse sucks but mostly it's a problem at home. Just moving it around is a bit of bitc#. I just jack the rear end up and it moves pretty easy. It is just insane fast and lots of fun.

I don't have any recent pictures, but check this video out. This is one of Weller Racing's cars and since I used their kit, it pretty much looks the same.
SR1 Build - 2009 Yamaha R1 engine in a Yamaha Rhino - YouTube

As far as the Porsche engine goes, I think that would be pretty cool. It would be a pretty heavy setup for Rhino though. You would have to reinforce the hell out of the frame, especially the back. Also, you'd probably have to stiffen up the rear suspension. It would really suck to have a one seat Rhino.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

That thing has to be a scream to drive. Yes, it would take a lot of beefing up but the rear suspension would then be from the Porsche and not the rhinos. A big plus for that set up would be that it would be air cooled.

At my old age, I don't want to be pushing it around when I need to back up. Especially, trail riding. Something that may help you out a little around the house is a set of those car wheel dollies that you place under each tire and it lets you move it around pretty easily. If you have a Harbour Freight store around, they sell for about $25 each, I think. I also have a Honda TRX 700xx and have thought about putting a set under it or the rhino to help when suffling things around in the garage or drive way. I will check out the link you sent. Thanks again.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 10:04 PM
1/4 Throttle

Rhino

I had a sand rail with a VW engine. The rail didn't weigh much and it had a 2380cc (or something like that, it's been a while) engine. It was pretty fast. It would be interesting to see a VW powered Rhino. I like your car mover idea. I live in SoCal and there are quite a few of those Harbor Freight stores around.

I just changed out the clutch on my R1 today and I'm waiting for some parts to add power steering. Should be fun. I just realized I enjoy working on my Rhino more than I like driving it. Is that possible?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:55 PM
1/4 Throttle

please do not give up. I think if you insist it, you will be successful.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

MJSusan- Thanks for the support, but it will be going back stock. Just waiting for the weather to cool off some in the Dallas area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement