2006 Yamaha Rhino 660 - Ducks Unlimited Camouflage Special Edition; Bozeman, MT - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino's & Rhino Parts For Sale List Yamaha Rhino's or Yamaha Rhino parts for sale in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

2006 Yamaha Rhino 660 - Ducks Unlimited Camouflage Special Edition; Bozeman, MT

Copying my local listing so please excuse some of the wording as it is geared towards those that might be a bit less familiar with the Rhino that all of us.

Short version:
For Sale: 2006 Yamaha Rhino 660 side by side. Ducks Unlimited Edition. Camouflage. Automatic CVT Transmission with Low and High range. 2 wheel drive/4 wheel drive/4 wheel dif. lock. Tailgate and tilt bed. Engine rebuilt one year ago by professional bike shop. Upgraded "Hotrod" clutch system installed at same time. Fresh oil change. Clear title is notarized and ready. Skip to end of "Long Version" for pricing info.

Long version:

Engine.
We bought this a bit over a year ago and unfortunately on the first outing, the piston skirt chipped off and fell down into the engine case presumably because of the unknown oil leak. We had the great and trusted guys at "The Bike Shack", here in bozeman, rebuild the engine completely to include new piston, resleaved cylinder, all new crank bearings, oil pump, etc. etc. (I have the itemized invoice). They also looked through the valve train and all other aspects ensuring everything was in spec and, if not, replaced. While apart, had them also flush and refill the entire brake system and cooling system and grease the drivetrain. This totaled $2000 in parts and labor. The front and rear differentials also have been drained and new fluid in them. Engine break-in was performed right with several short heat cycles to begin (we have a small area to ride on our property) then trail riding with plenty of varied rpm and deaccell/vacuum cycles to seat things right. I did several oil and filter changes in the first 50 miles after the rebuild. Then another oil change in another 100 or so miles and then just did another one this week. We now have 265 miles on the rebuild and it runs flawlessly. We drove it the entire length of last season with many long mountain riding and camping trips.

Add-ons:
There is an aftermarket machined primary sheave (Hotrod) and weights in the clutch and appropriately heavier spring on the secondary sheave. This upgrade, unlike some performance mods, does NOT adversely impact reliability at all. We value reliability more than anything because we ride 20 - 30 miles out in the mountains and so would not do any mods to risk that. This replacement sheave consists of a stock sheave that has been machined to allow the clutch to start in a lower ratio (lower gearing) and then specifically shaped slider weights to slider further out to allow for a taller ratio (higher gearing) on the top end. What this does is make your gearing start out lower from a stop and at slow speeds which acts more like having it in low range and gives you quicker response. It would also be beneficial if one wanted to put taller or heavier tires on (though we just ran stock tire height). This same upgrade also makes the gearing higher/taller at faster speeds which means your engine rpm will be lower (and quieter) at higher speeds and allow for a faster overall speed because you have taller gearing when the clutch sheave moves all the way through its range.

Other items installed last year while the engine was being rebuilt:
- New belt (old one was fine, but replaced with new with upgraded clutches and kept old for backup even though these never seem to blow belts. I guess keeping a backup is habit from snowmobiling.)
- New battery (and has been kept on a battery tender at all times when not being ridden).
- I repaired or replaced, with factory Yamaha parts, various clips, fasteners, etc.
- Nice aftermarket steel spoked steering wheel to eliminate the known issue with the plastic spoked stock steering wheels breaking.
- In stock form, this model had notification lights, but no speedometer, odometer, hour meter, etc. so I bought a lightly used Yamaha factory Rhino gauge cluster. Mileage on the gauge was 1,974 when I got it and shows 2,239 miles on it now so the engine and clutches now have 265 miles on them.

Selling:
We have really enjoyed this Rhino. The camouflage is in great shape; Not faded and no noticeable scuffs or scrapes that I saw while washing it this weekend. I did an oil change last weekend so it is ready to go.

We've used it mostly for recreational riding and camping. We are selling because we have one ATV and are going to sell the Rhino to pay for another one so we can both ride our own machines. An ATV will also take up less space in the garage than a sidexside. We hate to see it go and if we had room, we'd keep it and have them all. Ha.

Price:
Kelly Blue Book value: $6,040
NADA Guide value: $5,970 - special edition camouflage
Averages: $6,005 but that is with thousands of miles on them, but this one has new engine and clutches.

We spent $2,000 for the engine rebuild, $600 for new clutch sheave, weights, spring, belt, etc. and $450 for steering wheel, digital dash, electronic service manual, battery, miscellaneous new factory Yamaha parts that I replaced (plastic clips, etc) and so we have about $9,000 into it. Realizing that we won't get out of it what we put into it, we will consider reasonable offers. We are hoping to get around $6,450 since the engine and clutches are basically new and have one season of riding on them to prove reliability. We are open to reasonable offers, though. No trades, thanks, and cash only.

We have a small area in the yard where a buyer with cash in hand can test drive. We have the clear title in hand and notarized and ready for the new owner's info.

I'll add pictures tonight. PM me for more info and I'll also mark this thread so I get notices. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement