Gorilla axle help! - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino Suspension Discussions Yamaha Rhino suspension discussions.
Long travel kits, shocks, a-arms, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

Gorilla axle help!

Okay, it popped out again. The rear passenger axle. This time the clip broke in at least two pieces, or that was all I could find.

Here is my situation...

I need at least a new stub on the spindle/wheel end, the threads were damaged enough from trying to hammer it back in so many times that they got completely stripped and destroyed removing the axle nut (the damn thing was sparking and smoking from the friction). But yes it's off now.

Why are these so hard to install??? Yes they have a square clip, we even tried two of them that were beveled on a grinder, but we have hammered away hard as we can with a couple stock clips on it with the same results! It slides in by hand with no clip attached!

Does anyone have any measurements of how long the axles should be? It should be +6.5. I don't know if it's too short, or what?

Is there anyone I can send my axle to to repair it, and look it over, make sure it is the right length? I'm not sure of the condition anymore of the stub that goes into the diff.

I have a feeling I may be best off buying a complete new axle... any vendors here carry any, or anyone know where I can get one?

I am going to start checking around tomorrow if I can. From all the horror stories I've heard and seen, I would prefer to avoid sending this thing to Gorilla directly.

My main concern is we are going for a ride this coming weekend, all the way through the weekend of the 4th. So I am hoping to get this figured out by this coming weekend, and if not, hopefully by the 4th. I am also afraid of sand intrusion in the rear diff so I don't know what to expect at this point.

Any help or ideas would be awesome...... Thanks in advance guys...

TOAST NO MORE

Longest downtime record has been set!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Wreckin' Shop

I went through the same thing and this is my suggestion. First do you have the pin that couples the two axles together???? If not get it....Second...Pull your axle out, and pull the clip. Pull the shock off and cycle the suspension. With the axle perfectly flat its at its longest point. Get some help because one person is going to have to hold the axle in the whole time. With the axle completely flat you should have 1/4 inch of end play in the axle. If not its too short. Good Luck

Also....I highly reccomend pulling the rear dif and cleaning it out thoroughly. Its a sinch to pull apart and put back together.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

Thanks... I already do have the pin, but it seems to be useless. With no clip on the end of the axle, it slides in and out of the diff by hand with ease, like the pin is not even there.

I'm going to have to see if I can try that checking the end play. We got the axle nut off and it's off for good, so maybe we can hold/pull it into the spindle by hand to check it. I dunno yet. Thanks though...

TOAST NO MORE

Longest downtime record has been set!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 12:02 AM
Founding Ninja

BiggJim touched on a good point. I have seen Gorilla axles mis assembled and the pin wouldn't fit in one of the CVs. Not common though.

Here is my opinion, take it or leave it.

For the popping out issue:
The axle length changes as it goes through the suspension stroke. In this case, the axle has to slide through the star, by way of the splines. If there is torque applied to the CV, either through acceleration or deceleration, the splines want to bind up and not allow axle plunge. Thus it pulls the CV out.

For assemble, they just take the right touch. There is no one right way to do it. We usually bevel the clips like you already mentioned. That helps.
Sometimes you can also "rotate" the CV radially as you are pushing in on it. This will sometimes get the end of the clip started and then it will work in easier.

Good luck!

Benchmark Performance
760-484-0986
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 05:41 AM
RhinoTalk.net Site Sponsor

you can send the whole thing to gorilla and they will rebuild it.
if you buy a rebuild kit, they just send you and inner star assembly for around $135 and a new axle is about $90
I don't know why they call it a kit
a kit should be everything needed to rebuild it completly, including boot straps
youd think

VictoryGardenshydro.com
WeedConnect.net,get connected
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:44 PM
1/4 Throttle

All good suggestions so far. Does the center pin have the clips on both ends?

As for the end of the axle... I have an extra used Gorilla we can rob parts from to get you down the road.

Give me a shout if you still need it...

951.317.8715 just ask for Tim.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Wide F'n Open

I've got a Gorilla LT Axle also. It wasn't on my kit it was on my buddies So Cal FAB LT kit. I think it was a 6" or 6.5 " either way you can see the exact measurment here in the pic. $25.00 plus shipping or come by and pick it up if your local.

I will also have all the cv's from my own kit after this weekend for sale

I do have a right rear inner cv boot and 2 front inner cv boots Made by Gorilla

Let me know if I can help you out with what I have

Thanks to all the hard work from Todd at www.151fab.com for building my rhino!

Last edited by stetler; 06-24-2008 at 07:52 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Founding Ninja

LSRgreg already had you taken care of I thought???? on Naziforums

BTW the rear pass axle needs to be 24.30"

Rog

Benchmark Performance 686, 67.6 RWHP
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Wide F'n Open

what's the drivers rear side have to be?

Thanks to all the hard work from Todd at www.151fab.com for building my rhino!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Founding Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by stetler View Post
what's the drivers rear side have to be?
22.95"

Rog

Benchmark Performance 686, 67.6 RWHP
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement