Lower Ball Joint Question - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino Suspension Discussions Yamaha Rhino suspension discussions.
Long travel kits, shocks, a-arms, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
3/4 Throttle

Lower Ball Joint Question

I have an LSR +3 mid travel kit and just went to put on my sand tires and had a ton of slop at the lower a arm ball joint. When trying to tighten, the whole bolt is spinning inside the a arm? shouldnt this be solid or is it supposed to turn????

Cant get it tight or loose as the thing just spins, not moving in the lower a arm just under the boot.

Any input would be appreciated, leaving for the dunes Thursday and if I need to replace this I have to get it ordered NOW

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 09:27 AM
RhinoTalk.net Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese View Post
I have an LSR +3 mid travel kit and just went to put on my sand tires and had a ton of slop at the lower a arm ball joint. When trying to tighten, the whole bolt is spinning inside the a arm? shouldnt this be solid or is it supposed to turn????

Cant get it tight or loose as the thing just spins, not moving in the lower a arm just under the boot.

Any input would be appreciated, leaving for the dunes Thursday and if I need to replace this I have to get it ordered NOW

Thanks!
Sounds worn call mark or Joe at performance good chance they'll have one in stock

2007 3 seater razor eater
H-Town Performance for all your custom cage/bumper applications 702-564-7306
Mr. RPM BBK
Rigid E-Series
H-Town cage & bumper
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Founding Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese View Post

Thanks!
You will have to get some leveage on the ball joint stud to get it loose. The ball joint may still be good. It works best to use a air impact. I have the heavy duty LSR ball joints in stock if you need one.

Unleashed UTV
5838 N. 19th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85015
602-246-4011
www.unleashedutv.com

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 11:42 AM
1/2 Throttle

The ball joint stud has a tapered fit into the a-arm. When you tighten the threads on the stud, it will pull itself into the a-arm, locking it in place. If you are just turning the nut, and nothing is happening (stud is just spinning inside the a-arm), you need to push the a-arm towards the spindle, so it will force the tapered stud to hold. I would imagine the threads on the stud are probably bad, or else it should unthread without any much need to keep the stud locked to a-arm. You could take a dead blow hammer, and knock the a-arm up towards the spindle so it will hold, or you might need to use a pry bar or something to keep pressure against the stud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement