Rhino 450 Stock Spindles & Hubs - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino Suspension Discussions Yamaha Rhino suspension discussions.
Long travel kits, shocks, a-arms, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

Garage
Angry Rhino 450 Stock Spindles & Hubs

About 18 months ago I had to replace the front right (passenger side) spindle assembly on my Rhino 450. A couple days ago the kids were driving it with a wobbly wheel on the driver's side. I pulled it in the barn and started the disassembly. As soon as the wheel came off it was clear we had at least an outer bearing failure. After taking the brake caliper off and removing the hub I found the real cause. The bearings in the spindle were gone. The same kind of wear that was found on the other side. What's up with these bearings? Has Yamaha come out with a recall on these?

I'm totally disgusted to see that after buying a brand new Rhino 450 in the fall of 2006 that by the spring of 2011 (under 5 years) both front spindles and hubs are completely gone. This can't be anything less than inadequate design for purpose.

Has anyone been able to contact Yamaha for them to cover the repair costs? Suggestions on preventing this from happening again?

Seriously ticked in NE Ohio.

DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 06:36 PM
1/2 Throttle

Think my 07 450 has the same damn problem
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

Garage
Yamadawg,

Have you replaced the front wheel bearings and spindles? This fall, I had to remove and replace the rear wheel bearings as the ball bearings were coming out of the cage. I had to remove the rear spindle on the passenger side and take it to a shop so they could use a die cutter to remove the bearing race and allow the new bearings to be pressed in. I am not at all happy with the design, fabrication and especially the life I am getting out of these bearings. Very low marks in my book and there's no warning or statement regarding how to inspect or when to replace that I can find.

Frustrated and going broke fast in Ohio.

DJ

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 09:16 PM
1/2 Throttle

hate to tell ya were all going broke working on these, all Ive done on mine is fix someone elses lazyness. But yes there are alot of flaws not only with the rhinos, but with yamaha atvs in general. All my friends ride yamaha and their having all kinds of trouble with their new 700 grizzlies
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 03:32 PM
1/4 Throttle

I have an 04 and 08 rhinos along with a 03 grizzly and have had zero mechanical issues with all 3.

I know the guys that ride a lot in water are the only ones I've heard about having bearing issues.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 09:29 PM
1/2 Throttle

Well the problems with mine are due to it being drowned in a pond over the roll cage and left there for 24 hours about 2 years ago, but my friends that are having problems with the grizzly 700 is mainly electrical, keeps blowing the brain box, wont charge the battery, digital dash messing up in it idk think its just a lemmon
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 11:11 PM
1/4 Throttle

I have an 2009 rhino with 8500 kilometers on it. I found that the original bearings are satisfactory if you stay away from water/mud. The bearings are easy to replace but stay away from Chinese bearings and before you install them re grease them with quality waterproof grease. Also pack the area of bearing with grease. Since I started doing that I have not had to replace bearings as soon. Replace fronts last year due to steering knuckle upgrade but rears have been in for 2 1/2 years.
Maintenance is the key. Pull crap apart and check. I am still running original front steering tie rods/ball joints and rear greasable suspension parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement