Gorilla Axle popping out of 06 660 - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino Suspension Discussions Yamaha Rhino suspension discussions.
Long travel kits, shocks, a-arms, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
3/4 Throttle

Gorilla Axle popping out of 06 660

Just bought my son a rhino and drivers side axle keeps popping, it has a so cal + 6 long travel kit on it and after taking it to the shop three times and it popping in the first couple miles I decided to order a new axle and circlip and keep the old one for a spare. Lasted 2 miles and it popped out!!!!

I do not have the connector installed as Casey with the warranty dept. says I dont need it. I have inspected the inside of the cups in the diff and the groove for the circlip seems fine so I am not sure what to try next.

Any input would be appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 02:38 PM
3/4 Throttle

you can go back to oe cv's with summerbrother axles but also check to make sure axle is not to short for the longtavel,limit straps help on some kits.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
3/4 Throttle

Its a Gorilla +6 I think I have to stick with their cv set up.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
3/4 Throttle

Come on guys help a brother out, any ideas
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 06:44 AM
1/4 Throttle

I had the same problems with Gorillas and because of the cost for me to switch to summer bros and also needing the stock cv's I decided to make them work. If you can get the Gorillas to stay in they are great axles.

First you need to call the company that makes that long travel kit and find out what axle shaft lengths they use. A +6 is kind of generic and you will find that axle lengths are different an most +6 kits. Verify that your Gorillas are the right length. Gorilla Axle will cut you any axle length you need for like 90 bucks.

You can also try using the GIS thing. Its this clip that goes in the differential between the axles and hold them together. Gorilla Axles has them. I have heard mixed reviews on whether that solves the popping out problem.

Last thing is to bolt those bad boys together.. Thats the route I went and two seasons later they never popped out again. Look up "I'm bolting my rear axles together" on the rhinoforums.net under technical/suspension and you'll see my thread with pics and details on this. Sorry but I can't post urls yet on this forum.

John
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
3/4 Throttle

cant find that link? thanks for the info!! I heard about that from gorilla but the guy working on the Rhino (Performance Rhino Las Vegas) is looking for something so he understands what is entailed in doing this. If you can point me in the right direction to find the post I would sure appreciate it. I have searched a bunch of different ways and it does not come up.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Founding Ninja

leave the pin in the middle of diff with no clips on the pin, once gorillas start popping out they continue to do so usually, get new inner clips from gorilla, clean the inside of hub where clip goes in, it can get messed up.

you can bevel the inner edge of clips to help seat the clip in the diff. you can also squeeze the clip to make it a little out of round, this has helped keep gorillas in better also.
grease the clip before inserting axle into diff.

Benchmark Performance 686, 67.6 RWHP
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 08:30 AM
1/4 Throttle

I also bolted my rear Cv's together using a similar method that John is talking about. I bought a carbon tipped drill bit and slowly drilled the center hole in both CV cups out just big enough to get a grade 10 bolt through. I then made sure to use a nylox nut so it would have a harder time backing off. It does keep the axles in but be warned it is a pain reassembling the CV's with the cups bolted in the differential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement