Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner

2006 660 blew up

10K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  seamuseg1 
#1 ·
I just blew my motor and would like to know what the best way to go to get running again. Buy a used replacement motor? Anyone got one for sale? Or, even better any motor swap I can fit in 06 with more HP? Just get a 660 then purchase a performance upgrade kit? I definitely want to keep the 4 wheel drive. Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated.

#4 ·
Arrrr! I should have done exactly that however found a rebuilt 660 with upgraded stock parts to prevent rod shooting out the back of the motor and had a 686 kit put on top. Just getting it buttoned up now and should be running by Wed. Let see what happens.

So, I'm guessing that you put rotax in a Rhino? What kind of modifications to adapt like wiring and everything else? Was it a pain in the ass?

#6 ·
I went with a rebuilt motor with upgraded component so rod issue shouldn't happen again and 686 kit on top. Installed cost in Marin County California was just about $3700. Motor was $2700, clutch and sheive components were needed, plus install which was a bit more than normal cause of difficulty with roll cage and access issues. Wasn't happy with cost but it's done now and will hopefully be fast, strong and reliable.

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.