Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner

4x4 r1 rhino that works CHEAP

8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  07fj 
#1 ·
Hello guys. I joined to inform and get info on a cheap 4x4 r1 swap. I will post pics soon.
Background I bought a new 06 rhino that blew up twice so I decided to do the r1 swap but I am a cheap ars so I decided to find another way, plus I am a farmer and use mine on the farm so it needs 4x4.
So far I removed the 660 and took both front and rear drive shafts to the machine shop to have them turned down to 3/4 inch and had a keyway put in them. I also had to lengthen the front one. Next I cut the entire floor out as the engine is too tall for a rhino if you want to keep it under the hood and seats.
My first attempt was to put a cross shaft in between the fuel tank and the output side of the engine that joins the 2 factory drive shafts but that made it role hard as the chain to the engine was to short.
Take 2. I moved the tank to the drivers side and moved the engine 1.5 inches to the pasengers side and also removed the cross shaft under the passenger seat.
I now have everything working smooth. With no gear box, Hardly any expense, and its 4x4 with all of the factory pushbutton 4x4 and locker switches working as stock.
Now for the questions Reverse, I read somewhere of a lady with a cbr powered rhino that was 2x4 and used an electric starter motor and a spare battery to reverse. I can figure out all that if I knew a cheap system that would engage like a starter

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.