Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2005 660 rhino tha t i purchased new.. bout 3 years ago it started shutting off when i was bout 15 miles down the road. checked it out and no fuel was getting into carb.. put a weller racing kit on that was supost to take care a this problem.. still doing it.. finally had to install a electic pump behind the stock fuel pump.. only would use this when it stopped so i could get fuel flowing then i shut off and could run on mechanical fuel pump..go bout 10 miles and it would die again.. the mecanical fuel pump is a brand new minkuni..also when i go down hill she starts to back fire...ive gone to 3 different shops and no one seems to be able to fix this..please any ideas.. thx in advance

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem.i insulated the gas tank[used sticky al sheets
Get on internet] also insulated the gas lines. facet fuel pump [pegarus auto] with the mikuni vac pump puts out 1 to 4 psi.i
Run the electric pump when its hot, slow climbing hills etc.
If the rhino backfires i will also turn on the pump indicating
Vapor issue and or high altitude..fuel overflow goes back to the gas tank.if i remember black rhino eliminates the return line

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK! Here's a thought. Wire the electric pump so it's on anytime the the key is on. It will not hurt anything to run both pumps all the time. Any unneeded fuel is returned to the tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing. Also it would backfire sometimes when letting off the gas. Also after a few minutes of running it would start to spit and sputter and then would backfire and die. After letting it sit for a few minutes it would crank and run for a while and then die again. How long it would run was related to how many minutes I let it sit. It turned out to be the fuel filter. The filter was so clogged that it was causing it to run lean. The backfiring when going downhill is also a symptom of running lean. I bet your sparkplug is very light or white colored. My Rhino is a 2004 660. I bought it 2 years ago. It looked like it was the original fuel filter. Once I changed fuel filters, all the problems went away. The replacement filter is clear and I can see that trash is getting caught in it. I will be taking the tank out and cleaning it.

Edited to add: NOTE: your fuel filter will not fill up all the way when running. This is normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts