Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out at Pismo last week and seen a Gear One Rack torn right off the mounting plate. (bolts pulled from the welded nuts on mounting plate).

What we found was the 4 stock bolts that hold the rack are ¼ too short, if you look at the mounting plate that the rack bolts to there are welded nuts on the back side and when you re-use the stock rack mounting bolts you will see they are only threaded half way into the nuts.

So be sure to look at this when installing the Gear One rack; I suggest you get at least a ¼ inch longer bolts.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
that is real good advice but i would go 1/2 inch longer and install nylocks iv just finsh the fix on mine the nuts that are welded on are verry weak and strip easly and now onto the weak ass HCR spindels 899.00 for weak crap!!!and the worst suport and service

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that is real good advice but i would go 1/2 inch longer and install nylocks iv just finsh the fix on mine the nuts that are welded on are verry weak and strip easly and now onto the weak ass HCR spindels 899.00 for weak crap!!!and the worst suport and service

Whats up with HCR ? thought you had this fixed already :(

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
iv been looking for that post so i can unload now

·
CommanderTalk.com
1,706 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
121 Posts
I ran into a similar problem. I had two of the bolts fall out completely, and the other two where very loose. This was during the Soboba Gran Prix race. And I felt something was wrong half way through, but keep going. Good thing it never actually fell out completely, or broke the box. Im definetaly getting longer bolts and nylocs, but I did have a question.

Would it be better to grind those welded on nuts off completely, and just do new bolts with nylocs? Or would it be better to get longer bolts, and keep the stock nuts and then add nylocs to double up the nuts?

I was afraid that without using the welded on nuts, the box may be able to shift side to side a little and possibly hog out the holes eventually...

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I ran into a similar problem. I had two of the bolts fall out completely, and the other two where very loose. This was during the Soboba Gran Prix race. And I felt something was wrong half way through, but keep going. Good thing it never actually fell out completely, or broke the box. Im definetaly getting longer bolts and nylocs, but I did have a question.

Would it be better to grind those welded on nuts off completely, and just do new bolts with nylocs? Or would it be better to get longer bolts, and keep the stock nuts and then add nylocs to double up the nuts?

I was afraid that without using the welded on nuts, the box may be able to shift side to side a little and possibly hog out the holes eventually...
a better idea might be to grind off the stock nuts, and weld some stronger ones on in it's place. I am not sure you could weld nylocks or not.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My problem was I couldn't find the fine thread bolts in that size, with a small enough head to fit the holes in the rack. I was going to use an allen head bolt, but they only had them in coarse thread at my bolt place. I guess Ill have to keep looking, or maybe figure out a bolt from somewhere else on the rhino that will work, and order 4 of them from Yamaha.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
tat2max has a bolt biz, maybe he can help out there.

Marshals (miramar) in SD has a ton of SAE and Metric hardware. not cheap but the have most anything.

Rog

·
Registered
19 Posts
I found the following Yamaha Part #95027-10030-00 for 30mm long and 95027-10035-00 for 35mm long bolts that have the same head as the stock ones. I used the 30mm long ones and haven't had a problem with my gear one, the stock bolts are 25mm long.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I found the following Yamaha Part #95027-10030-00 for 30mm long and 95027-10035-00 for 35mm long bolts that have the same head as the stock ones. I used the 30mm long ones and haven't had a problem with my gear one, the stock bolts are 25mm long.

sand_duner, thanks for the info. you just save me alot of time! Im going to try the 35mm ones, and put a nyloc on too.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
they are a 10 mm bolt i uesed a s/s allen head bolt 40mm long with s/s nylocks rule of thumb if useing a lock nut 1/4 of in must show on the bolt

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you are going to weld nuts on, use a crimped nut instead of a nylock. These provide the same locking function, just no nylon to burn up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts