Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with the Bilstein shocks from Lonestar?? More specifically in their MTS systems?

Pros, cons, likes dislikes, etc.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have the MTS kit on my 4 seat short bus with Bilsteins. Mine work great. There are gives and takes. I did not have the $ to spend on adjustable (rebound & compresson) shocks. If I had the $ to do it different would I? Yes I would. I would have liked to been able to soften up the ride a little when I was not fully loaded. and dial it back in when I have 4 people in it. They work good and when you compare them to the stockers....WOW. :good:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the Bilstein's and MTS. I had just the shocks for a year. Incredible performance over stock. I could run 40+ through the whoops on sand highway in Glamis no problem. With the stockers you hit about 32 and start to buck real bad. At the time I couldn't afford long travel or MTS. I got the shocks with the idea that I could upgrade to MTS when I could afford it. I just got my MTS installed and all I can say is wow! The combo works great. I haven't been to the dunes yet (too hot) but have been in the desert. The upgraded feeling I had with just the shocks is now happening all over again. Who thought that 3 inches wider per side could feel so good........keep your minds out of the gutter. I think it is a great combo.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Money was not an issue for me. I chose the Bilsteins because Greg from LSR told me they were the best shock to use with the MTS Kit. They are set up perfect right out of the box. I am very happy with them and the MTS Kit.

As far as adjustability. The dials on the high end shocks (Like Elka or Ishocks) are oly a fine tune adjustment. To be honest I played with some Elkas and I was not impressed at all but the adjustability. Great for fine tunes if you race. But to adjsut for weight in a 4 seater..... no good.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips guys.

Mike,

How much different is your ride without the backseat and passengers?? I ask because in the summer, I mainly ride with my family and my two kids in the back. But, from about late August all the way to January most of my riding is strictly trails during hunting season and I will not have the back seat/passengers.

One last thing too. I am actually looking at a used kit for pretty cheap. If I remember right, Lonestar has a lifetime warranty right??

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
LSR has a lifetime warranty on their MTS Kit... However that does not include the shocks. They are great about honoring their warranty too. I told them that I broke my axle due to my own abuse and they said no problem it is covered. I am not sure if the warranty is transferable.... you may want to call them and ask.

The 4 seater is cool for the kids.... I am like you. In the summer I change to a 4 seater for Pismo Beach. But after the summer the kids dont like to ride with me (except for my son Mikey.... who most of you know) so I switch back to a 2 seater. I kept my 2 seat cage and my lighter springs so it is easy to switch back and forth. I just unbolt the cage, bolt up the other cage, pop the seat out and change spring on the rear and I am good to go. I did it myself the first time but recently I paid Custom Motorsports to do it for me.

The 4 seater does good... but I like to drive mine like I stole it and it is better as a 2 seater. Plus the added power is great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts