Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fortunate enought to go on the ORW Baja trip. Let me tell you, it was one of the best trips I have been on. Unfortunately for me, I snapped my drive belt and didn't have a spare. When I got back I bought a new Yamaha belt and put it on. Since then it has only gone on and off the trailer a few times. I noticed the last time I put it on the trailer I was getting the noise similar to the rear brake grind. It also feel like the parking brake is on all the time. I finally had some time today to check it out. I had it in neutral and it pushes around without making any noise. I started it up and no noise. I put it in gear, stepped on the gas and got the noise. I put it back in neutral to get out and check the rear diff and brake. I inadvertantly stepped on the gas, and there is the noise. There is a definate grinding comig from the clutch housing. I have the Rhino Crap Sheave and have never had a problem. I am going to pull it apart tonight when it cools off a bit to see what is going on.

Does anybody have any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
sound like maybe a roller is out of position, from breaking the belt.

Check that out and get back to us, we can help.

Rog

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Rog is right, besides-he just had his birthday and he has more wisdom than ever!!!!:p

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was going to be my guess too. When I replaced the belt I dissasebled the sheave and re-greased the rollers. I was very careful on re-asssembly, but you never know. I will let you know what I find.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Yep.... The rollers fell out of place when you put the sheave back together...
good all fixed

i have a ? about the wights when i frist did mine they had heavy 16 or 18g. i cant remember but the frist trip out the rhino ran better than ever. step on the gas and the rear would come out and pitch sideways and it was fast. 2 trip out slow and no power??now i think all is good but i think ill try what rog said and go all 14g

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually didn't get to it last night. I will be taking it apart tomorrow at my shop. I will let everyone know.

I also have the question about the weights. I would like more torque and less top end. I am stock except for the BRP CDI, K&N, and Sheave. I have a top speed of 59MPH on pavement. I would gladly give up 9MPH to be able to break the tires loose on pavement. I do alot of duning, and can only get about 38MPH when running the bowls. Sand HWY is about 45-47.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The other thing that will cause a griding noise is the star if it is not pushed all the way on the splines. When you take the nut loose for the sheave removal check the steel star splines.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
The other thing that will cause a griding noise is the star if it is not pushed all the way on the splines. When you take the nut loose for the sheave removal check the steel star splines.
yes i was told to look at the splines once a year or any time i do a belt change!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts