Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Its the old school way. Combine a good copper head gasket with a stainless oring and it should hold as much compression that you can throw at it. That said so will a good cometic stainless without the oring. Copper haskeys are out on with a good sealant. Cometiva have the sealant built in. Really the key is proper prep getting everything clean and making sure its flat. Then a good gasket and head and base stud kits. More torque than the factory specs can be applied with the stud kits.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Copper is definitely old school. Some people are recommending it for the Rhino, I don't. Copper is great for an engine that has the head removed after every time it is run, and can be reused (drag racing).
Court is correct. Make sure the head and cylinder are flat, make them as clean as a hospital room, use an OE Yamaha or Cometic MLS gasket depending on the bore size. OE Yamaha for std bore and cometic for larger bore. Even the stock head bolts work fine if everything is done correctly. Don't over torque the stock head bolts, DO coat the threads and washers with oil or assembly lube before torquing.
By the way, when they boost old school iron V8s these days, guess what is recommended for head gaskets? Cometic. :good:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ive blown 2 copper gaskets on my 686.Im taking Chris's advice and trying a cometic. I havent got to run it yet so no report.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts