Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner

crank split!!!!! hell no

10K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  texas buggy 
#1 ·
:mad::mad:well tried to split today heated up with oxy torch and had a hyd splitter and still no split can anyone please tell me how to spit the crank i have access to all tools presses just aint got the knowhow......:eek:
also does anyone know if the raptor crank is the same as the rhino?
helpp! help! help!

#3 ·
ra ra ra ra

Yep prob right but i do like to try first not only to save costs but get the satisfaction that i actually completed a difficult task! I just need guidance now i have seen on net hotrods crank complete but dont know what the +4 means????????
As you can gather i an a newbee into all this!
so if anyone can help please advise

#6 ·
if you are going to split the cases and add a +4 crank, you might as well add a 102mm piston. that would make it a 719cc engine. Yes i have seen the kits on ebay sleve,piston,crank,and gasket set 500 us dol seems quite reasonable as i have just got a price from yamaha over here and for the stock crank and bearings they want 1530 us dol.

the crankshaft on the raptor is not the same as the one on the rhino.
Thanks for that info!

#8 ·
I forgot to mention all the shops that i have called over here say they never split the cranks they just fit crank kits in and throw old crank away!!!
mmmmmm if i could find a easy method i think i have just come across a good buisiness!

another silly question from a brit
I have heated the crank up to red hot with oxy torch am i right in saying because this part is a moulded steel the molecular structure changes when heated basically making it weak? The reason why i ask this is the even if i get it off i dont want to put this back in in case it throws the piston through the head.......
And before i get a ribbin from pips i looked this up online as i wanted to know how much cast expands heated apposed to machined ie the centre pin.
my bug has only just covered 800 miles but they wont do it under warrenty because i have changed exhaust, modded carb, installed cdi unit, all of which the shop sourced for me!!!! what a kin wan*er's they are........................................

#9 ·
I would not get a "hotrods" crank, they are terrible.

I would also not do a stroker motor in a rhino.

e:mail chris@benchmarkperfomance.us or call him at 760-484-0986

best in the Biz for RHino motors. he can get you a crank and other performance parts that will last and give great power.

Rog sent ya

#10 ·
splitting crank in uk yipeeeeeee

so update on the crankeeee;)

I have found a company that will split the crank and rebuild and balance for
£150 so happy days for me.

Some idiot at my work has tidied up all the parts that i had laid out in order:mad:

I now have a big box of cogs n bits tring to look on manual to find out where they go the only thing i cant place is tw thin metal shims about 3/4 inch 3mm thick TWO OF THESE any idea??

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE I THINK?

#14 ·
I Need a Bottom end you interested in getting rid of it.

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
so update on the crankeeee;)

I have found a company that will split the crank and rebuild and balance for
£150 so happy days for me.

Some idiot at my work has tidied up all the parts that i had laid out in order:mad:

I now have a big box of cogs n bits tring to look on manual to find out where they go the only thing i cant place is tw thin metal shims about 3/4 inch 3mm thick TWO OF THESE any idea??

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE I THINK?

#12 ·
Dark side

LOOKS LIKE I AM CROSSING TO THE DARK SIDE!!!!!!!

So all i have decided to purchase a POLARIS RZR S so now slate me...

I might keep rhino when repaired for mudding and taking the dogs but use the other for racing on the track i run with quads and bikes

#15 ·
well.... i have just about called every shop in town and found that there is not just a replacement for the journal crank - that is why you can only find it as a crank/rod combo and the cost is reasonably - you will find that the extra trouble to disasemble it is not work the money you spend on the new part (versus your time) - the second part of that is the crank and rod should be balanced to each other (something you probably with bump your head on trying to find the journal size with the proper brg clearnence for your buggy) - either way just bite the bullet and pay for the combo - unless you have precision tools to do so ) and the size with be in millimeters.... and why doesn't anyone like responding to posts on this forum ????????....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.