Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
what would you do to a stock motor...686,720,797? who would you use...benchmark, racers edge, weller? if anyone knows cost share that also.
my list is as goes

if you live in az. go with weller
in california
I'd go with the proshop

720 would be my choice for size of build

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Benchmark bar none, and since you are in Ill, you still have to ship.

Call Chris at benchmark performance or PM s2k1 on here. he can provide advice on the in's and out's of what you may want to do.
HRT Motorsports - Home

ANd if the AZ guy is on here that called them last week complaining that their was no way they run a 686 against the big 800's. get over it.

I have seen Chris build these motors and they are 686's

Rog

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I am not saying the Wellers do not build good motors at all, and they make good power. But they do push the limits with the big strokers IMO. Of course in racing builders tend to do that any way. Not a bad choice at all. I just give the Edge to Benchmark.

Rog

·
Registered
363 Posts
I agree with Rog. I am running a 686. It was not done by one of the big name shops out there, but it can run with them. At the Firebird race Thrashem-Crashem was pulling me on the top end in the straights and a little out of the hole. Maybe some of it was clutch tuning. It was my first race with a dry clutch. I know he runs a big stroker, not sure what exactly. At the last Page race we were turning damn near identical lap times. I changed my clutch tuning for that race. Granted there are other factors at play. I got a PM from bobby and sounds like he will be coming out to the Whiplash race this weekend at Ft. Mcdowell so I will have more data for comparison. It's a long race so there is plenty of oportunity for us to be side by side plus the lap time comparison.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks Rog!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
benchmark definetly can put together a motor, but it's the driver really.
swap drivers and I bet arthur still wins. That's why he and regis are always up front, they have great machines, but they can drive the rubber off em.

·
Registered
379 Posts
no...sorry
OK, that makes sense then. Not sure what happened to the PM, wasn't ignoring you.

The key to making power with any engine is the cylinder head, regardless of displacement.
We did 3 months of port shape development and sacrificed a few heads before we settled on our current design. We now CNC machine the ports, the intake manifold, and the combustion chamber. This provides extremely good consistency and speeds up the process. All 5 valves are replaced with oversize stainless valves, the guides are replaced with high perf guides (all 5, not just the center intake), and the seats are reshaped with a Newen seat cutting machine. The Newen is able to cut any shape or angle that you want. It is a $100,000 dollar machine and even Ferrari uses them to do their F1 heads. Just the valve seat shape alone picked up 10 cfm of port airflow versus a typical "performance valve job". We finish it off with new springs and titanium retainers along with some different valve stem seals. Our finished head is flowing over 300cfm on the intake port.
The cylinder head is an exchange program. You send in your stocker (or the whole engine), and you get a race prepped head back.
The CNC finished head retails for $1289. This is not the cheapest head work out there, but I believe it is the best.
PM me for Rhinotalk pricing and details about the rest of the engine.
:wave:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm not sure who called Chris & told them they were not running 686 but I will put my money with my motor. Bench Mark builds one of the best motors in the world. But I would put up $10,000.00 that his 686 will not out drag race my Weller 797. I have proven that plenty of times. Tod & HRT have a golden combination; Driver, Great handling car, & a great motor. Weller team is the new comer this year in Cali, You can't count us out yet. :good: That my story & I'm sticking to it:eek:k:

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm not sure who called Chris & told them they were not running 686 but I will put my money with my motor. Bench Mark builds one of the best motors in the world. But I would put up $10,000.00 that his 686 will not out drag race my Weller 797. I have proven that plenty of times. Tod & HRT have a golden combination; Driver, Great handling car, & a great motor. Weller team is the new comer this year in Cali, You can't count us out yet. :good: That my story & I'm sticking to it:eek:k:
Nobody is counting you out Bobby. You guys are making me have to work harder, lol.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
don't give up all your secrets guys. What am I saying, of coarse your not going to give up the really special stuff. Glad to see the competition.
just makes for better builds. and racing

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
don't give up all your secrets guys. What am I saying, of coarse your not going to give up the really special stuff. Glad to see the competition.
just makes for better builds. and racing

It sure does, hopefully we can get a bunch of the Rhinotalk members at Chula vista CORR on july 26/27 to check out our racing friends race for the Checkered flag. Some of the Booyaa Crew went to pomona last race and met some new faces also, great time. :yahoo:

Rog

1 - 20 of 25 Posts