Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have to come to our first dilemma at rhinotalk and seeing as this place is for the members, we pose a question to you to help us solve it.
we have vendors who want to post banner ads, we also have vendors who have there logo as avatars. if we charge someone to put up a banner ad, they are going to get offended by the other guy with the free avatar.
we don't want to just say, sorry no more avatars. We don't want to become another naziforum, we are charging low rates for banners and will use the money for upkeep and giveaways,events. whatever supports the site.
give us your suggestions on how to handle this and we will go with the majority.
thanks and eff max powers

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
As long as the vendors know that they will have competition from within the site. Avatars opionions loyalties what have you they have been informed.

If they still want to pay for advertising they have been pre warned.
The paying vendors will still get to the people they want and need, the site mods just wont bend over for them.

"This is a member site not a vendor site"

You can put it together better than me, but you get my idea I hope.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I thought if everybody could post up whatever they want was the only way to keep it un-bias logos links pictures what ever... then if somebody like me still sees a value here Ill pay for ads, forums, ect but otherwise your just like the other forums....whats the point

·
Registered
15 Posts
I Agree with hapa....
Let free enterprise roll.
I check out all vendors to see who has the best price at the moment anyway. It also depends who is closer to me...with the price of gas that's an issue too.

·
Registered
280 Posts
we have vendors who want to post banner ads, we also have vendors who have there logo as avatars.
Shouldn’t be too hard to figure this out, after all you are talking apples and oranges here.

Banners are just that a banner; much different then an avatar.

Want a Banner then ya got to pay the piper, want an avatar cool they are free (at the moment).

·
Registered
582 Posts
I say let it be for right now. We the people are who makes the site, we the people are who spend the money, we the people are who can make or break a business. I believe if a vender starts to get a lot business from a specific site he will make it right in the long run. For instance I give people 1/2 off thier gardening bill if I get a refferal and keep them as a "paying" customer for over 6 months. If I get a house or job that pays really well, i'll give the person reffering the whole month.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Shouldn’t be too hard to figure this out, after all you are talking apples and oranges here.

Banners are just that a banner; much different then an avatar.

Want a Banner then ya got to pay the piper, want an avatar cool they are free (at the moment).
Here Here I second the motion :good:

·
Registered
5,383 Posts

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
not all of us deal with site vendors we go with who takes care of us with out taking all our $$$ vendors need our $$$ and to get it they should be our friend and help not just take

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
As long as the vendors know that they will have competition from within the site. Avatars opionions loyalties what have you they have been informed.

If they still want to pay for advertising they have been pre warned.
The paying vendors will still get to the people they want and need, the site mods just wont bend over for them.

You can put it together better than me, but you get my idea I hope.
I have to agree with Hapa, "This is a member site" if we start bending over for the vendors. then it will be our first step to becoming like other forums. I say keep the members happy and the money will come. Happy members means more members because they will tell everyone about this place, more members means vendors will come regardless. If you guys need money then ask the members, I think most of us would be glad to send some money, what ever they can afford. But this place will grow big if you stick to your guns and make this what we all want it to be....just my .02

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Remember guys, most of you know who you deal with from other forums already. Business is like a friendship and most vendors do become friends with longtime customers. Even partying and duning etc.. It is up to the business if they want to spend the money to attract new clients from the forum. This forum is doing well and vendors can only help it for the long run. It is the site itself and all the members who have to actively give input to keep it running as a whole though and not just point fingers at vendors. I like to talk shit but refrained as a business owner on rf. I will probably refrain here as well because I think it refelcts on the business poorly. The idea of vendors is good, let it start with avatars and grow into larger advertising, just structure it a bit diferent per other perceived failures or what have you. just my .02

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One thing we will never have is a vendor subforum where the vendor can edit the content, that's where the whole stupidduty bs started with me and ryan.
a vendor shouldn't have that kind of control of any site.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Majority

Well I will go with whatever the majority goes with but if there are no banners paid for how will max get money to maintain the site. I agree with no vendor forums and at this time I would not want a banner but there still needs to be some sort of income for the site. Maybe during the dune season we could set aside a couple of fund raising type weekends to help out max. maybe make it a combination fund raiser for Booya and rhinotalk.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I will go with whatever the majority goes with but if there are no banners paid for how will max get money to maintain the site. I agree with no vendor forums and at this time I would not want a banner but there still needs to be some sort of income for the site. Maybe during the dune season we could set aside a couple of fund raising type weekends to help out max. maybe make it a combination fund raiser for Booya and rhinotalk.
we have vendors ready to go, Really greg, I have nothing to do with that end of the site, i am just the don king of the site. It's not my site, it's all our site.
one of you guys should man up and get a ad, it's cheaper than naziforums.
contact dieselpowered

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
True that. Though i was told it was not Ryan who edited it, it was the powers that be. Regardless, i agree that vendors should not be able to edit either.
ryan edited the very first post I made in his subforum, we had a long fight about it and he removed almost all of it. See what censoring does. You never got to read it. Then it spilled over to the regular forums where the morons that be deleted another whole thread where i caught ryan using someone to set him up for to push some stuff. It's funny how to this day, that rhinogirl has never posted on there site since I called him out. Hmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
691 Posts
we have vendors ready to go, Really greg, I have nothing to do with that end of the site, i am just the don king of the site. It's not my site, it's all our site.
one of you guys should man up and get a ad, it's cheaper than naziforums.
contact dieselpowered
Anything to help out! He will be at the shop this week for his Teryx I will talk to him then.

·
CommanderTalk.com
1,706 Posts
If I could just jump in for a moment. I just want to ensure that we are all on the same page and that there are no misunderstandings.

Any "revenue" generated by the sale of ad space or whatever will go right back into the site to benefit the members. This is NOT a commercial site. We have no intentions of trying to earn a paycheck from it.

At this time, the initial proceeds will go to hiring a designer to re-design the look and feel of the site. As we grow, it is possible that we may have to move to a different server as well. In addition, I would like to have a "give-a-way" fund available to purchase parts for give-a-ways and what not.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts