Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner

Geocaching

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  The Juice 
#1 ·
Anybody geocache? I am looking for suggestions on purchasing a hand held gps. I do have a Lowrance 540c in the rhino.

#3 ·
Our family and friends love to Geocache. Go to groundspeak.com, and you can put in the zip you will be at, and find all kinds of great caches. I have found them in Ocotillo Wells, and Glamis, it makes a ride with the kids especially more fun.

Remember to bring some trinkets to put back in so the kids (and adults) can take something out, and to sign the log books. Its cool to see when someone was there last.

And leave it like you found it. Happy hunting!

Oh yeah, GPS - we use the Garmin Nuvi, because it is hand held, and I mount it in the Rhino with a RAM mount, get close, and then walk to our destination. It works well.

Any good handheld GPS will get you to the coordinates, once you get used to it.

#8 ·
The radio works pretty good, If you are on top of hills it will go miles. The better Rhino's transmitt on GMRS which make them go farther. I think they might use repeaters. Supposedly takes more battery juice, but it has never been an issue for me.

Forgot to answer one of your questions, No race use but it has been from Ensenada to Cabo with me a couple of times mounted on my bike. No issues has saved my asssss the radio and mulitple crum trails and keeping in touch with other riders by text basically.

#9 ·
I have the Garmin 60csx. I just downloaded a bunch of caches to the area we are going next week. I uploaded them from the gps to the mapsource program and created a route to them then downloaded that to the gps. Cant wait to try it out.

#10 ·
That is a cool feature, Do you ever switch to mapsource in google earth. Works pretty cool together. Seem like people recognize google earth more often when I show them the maps.

I should add that my Rhino 530 is over priced and over kill for most applications.

#11 ·
You will be amazed how many caches are out there...I did a search just around my neighborhood and there were some.

It is a lot of fun, especially when camping with the kids...sometimes we just go out and hide stuff then send the kids off with the GPS, great way to get them active!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.