Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time installing a long travle kit on 08 700 Rhino. Im ready to install a XMF +6 long travel kit. Can anyone toss me some tips before I begin? Any specific measurement on the toe in toe out setting? First time Rhino owner and first time wrenching on it. Need to learn to install so i can learn how to fix it if it breaks.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
First time installing a long travle kit on 08 700 Rhino. Im ready to install a XMF +6 long travel kit. Can anyone toss me some tips before I begin? Any specific measurement on the toe in toe out setting? First time Rhino owner and first time wrenching on it. Need to learn to install so i can learn how to fix it if it breaks.
if your changing the axles yourself, wear gloves and check out
thecvman.com for helpfull tips

·
Registered
785 Posts
XMF are great peeps. I talked to them quite a bit while trying to set mine up. They suggested 1 or 2 degrees negative camber and to run the toe at about 1/4" in. And do like says above... wear gloves and i used an old towel to do my axles on so i could just wad it up and throw it away....

·
Banned
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guy for the info...hmmm has anyone done a video on changing the axles?

Any other special tools I will require besides the 8mm and 10mm sockets to take the Rhino apart?:D

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
First step... come put it on my rhino and let me test it for a few years! Second step... refer to step no 1

·
Registered
785 Posts
Oh yea..the crush nut is huge on those. I think its like a 17MM if I'm correct.
You talking about the spindles? The shock bolts are 14mm on one end and 17 on the other. No special tools really. A vise helps out alot with the axles. i did mine with leaving the outer CV in the hub when doing it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
attach the rear brakes to the spindle before attaching the lower arm or it will not clear. also make sure those rear brake line extensions are tight or they will leak.

other than that was simple. well at least with the help of the quinns.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Grease the bushings between the fram rails before bolting the arms up.....limit the SQUEEKS that everyone makes fun of me because! F U BLAKE!

Use a dead Blow or heavy rubber mallet to bang your CV's off the axles.....like someone said wear gloves, do it on a work bench with a towel on it that you can throw away........I also wrapped a rag around my mallet and zip tied it so that when i smacked the CV it didnt splat grease everywhere......

Dont lose your CirClips from the axles and try not to bend them........you will need a CirClip removal tool........or some patience and a small pair of needle nose.......

While everything is off put a gusset kit on your frame!! Well worth the extra time for piece of mind! I got my gusset kit from South Bay Rhino, good price and it came with Spindle gussets as well......

If you are careful with them you can re use the stock CV boot clamps, I really like them......

If an impact doesnt ork for you on the axle nuts then use a long breaker bar, I used a fence post and just when you thik your about to break something is wehn the axle nut breaks lose with a CRACK!

manage your nuts and bolts.....dont lose the O-Ring that comes off when you pull the spindles off the axle......

Have some rags handy for the rear when you pull the axles out, oil from the diff will run out.....make sure to top your diffs off after replacing the axles.......

If I think of anything else I will post it.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does the Gusset Kit need to be welded on or is it just a bolt on? What the average price for a Gusset Kit?

The break caliper tip will definetely help!

Thanks all for the tips/trick for the install. I will be tackling this install next weekend. Hopefully I will be able to take some pics.

How do I measure the toe in toe out setting? Any specific measurements points?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Does the Gusset Kit need to be welded on or is it just a bolt on? What the average price for a Gusset Kit?

The break caliper tip will definetely help!

Thanks all for the tips/trick for the install. I will be tackling this install next weekend. Hopefully I will be able to take some pics.

How do I measure the toe in toe out setting? Any specific measurements points?
Yeah I think we messed up on the rear twice before we figured it out the caliper needed to go on first.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Measure from the center of the tires....atleast thats how I did it....both the front measurement then I go to the back side of the tire and do it......

The gusset kit is weld on, I guess you could just bolt it on but I think it is designed and best to be welded for strength......make sure you get a rear diff support bracket as well....CRB has a good one that a lot of us run.....Just rememebr the more width you put on the Rhino, the more levergae put on the frame rails....reinforce it and have piece of mind!

Contact South Bay Rhino for prcing...I dont remember what I paid but it was cheap in comparison to the LT kit!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Measure from the center of the tires....atleast thats how I di dit....both the front measurement then I go to the back side of the tire and do it......

The gusset kit is weld on, I guess you could just bolt it on but I think it is designed and best to be welded for strength......make sure you get a rear diff support bracket as well....CRB has a good one that a lot of us run.....Just rememebr the more width you put on the Rhino, the more levergae put on the frame rails....reinforce it and have piece of mind!

Do you have a tel # or website for CRB?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts