Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished up the iShock midtravel install, and need some help. They reworked (re-valve, re-shock) the sport shocks I had. I think the front is set up too soft, but I need opinions from others with mid or long travel setups.

The front sits at about 10 1/2", I can push on the front bumper, and it doesnt rebound very much. It also looks like a have a ton of front end camber. If I lift hard on the front, it sits higher, and the camber pretty much goes away, but another push and back to original settings.

The stock setup wasnt like this, it was MUCH stiffer, and would pop back when pushed.

Should I just pump in a bunch of preload? Add a few clicks of compression? Any help is appreciated. :good:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
i would adjust your pre-load 1st who re-valved I-shock?? i would not think you need diffrent springs, you may have changed the shock angle some but not the weight my $.02 but may be wrong
btw congrat on the new kit sucka.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
eeeekkkk!! Just a little too much negative camber... i agree with mush, stiffen the preload and go from there. let us know how the kit works out for ya, its the kit im looking into.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The only adjustment that effects the ride height or sag is the spring preload, compression & rebound adjustments cant really be made accurately by just pushing up & down on the bumper.
The best way to set it up to your own liking from scratch is to first get the ride height set with the spring preload. Trying to adjust the compression & rebound with the wrong preload setting is a total clusterfuck so it's important to take your time and get it right.
After the shock preload is set you can then move onto the compression & rebound if you have them both or just one. I think it's best to set each setting in the middle of it's adjustment range (ex. if there are 12 settings I would start at 6) then adjust up or down as needed until it's to your liking. Adjust each setting separately and be aware that small adjustments will make big changes in the action on the shock.
iShock should have some recommended settings for all of the front end adjustments, if not I would use the stock settings and improvise as needed.

Good luck with the mid-travel kit, I have been wanting one for years now. But just the shocks alone are a big improvement.

Happy trails,
Curley

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
I take mine to a good shop I trust, have them set it up to what they think is the best setting. then i go drive it and make small adjustments. I like to start soft and stiffen it up based on how hard i bottom out. the woops seem to work themselfs out. i only bottom on transitions and jumps for the most part.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree, I would start with finding out what weight springs you have for the front.
Fronts are 200, rears are 475. On a 2 seater.

If I jack the front preload, it will be halfway down the threads, if not more to get it where it should be. I think I need to make a call and bump up the front spring, and then work on the preload.

Thanks for the PM Rick, Ill keep everyone posted on the call I make tomorrow to the tech department.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Without the shocks on, does the suspension cycle up and down freely???

How much preload is in the springs now? 1" or??

Also I would adjust the toe at about 11 off the ground (ride height) it looks like it is toe'd out alot.

Rog

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rog,

It is still toed out, it calls for 1/4" toe in, but I havent finalized it yet. I know I need to bring it in a bunch. I figured I should fix the sag hight problem first.

Suspension moves pretty free for the most part, and preload is about 3 or 4 threads down from the top, I dont think its even an inch.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Rog,

It is still toed out, it calls for 1/4" toe in, but I havent finalized it yet. I know I need to bring it in a bunch. I figured I should fix the sag hight problem first.

Suspension moves pretty free for the most part, and preload is about 3 or 4 threads down from the top, I dont think its even an inch.
OK then start at an inch and no more than 1 1/2" and see where you are at Tim. if more is needed then maybe 250's are required.

11-11 1/2" under the front will be OK also.

Rog

·
Registered
225 Posts
id write down clicker settings now before you tweak settings and take a beer break then forget them :mad:

200 fronts should be good i'd imagine, i think you have room to crank your preload so give that a try, keepin the car close to level front to rear (front 1/2-1 inch higher)

then adjust your toe and go test

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
id write down clicker settings now before you tweak settings and take a beer break then forget them :mad:

200 fronts should be good i'd imagine, i think you have room to crank your preload so give that a try, keepin the car close to level front to rear (front 1/2-1 inch higher)

then adjust your toe and go test
Factory shock settings are in the owners manual, no need to write them down.

Rog

·
Registered
101 Posts
Definitely try adding some pre load. I am not a suspension expert but I don't think that is going to help much with rebound. You will be able to get the front of the car higher tho.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'd ......call iShock first, its there set up, ask them.

Post on the net and you'll get 100 different answers on what you should do.

BTW, have you driven it yet to see how it actually handles? Once it settles in it may be ok but Id call iShock first.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just got off the phone with the iShock tech. He said to jack the preload equally on both sides, there is plenty there to play with. He felt that it wont affect the travel and wont coil bind. It will just get it to the desired height and help remove the front camber issue.

If that doesnt work and I run out of thread, they will swap out to 250's free of charge.

Ill post up a picture when I get it done for a before and after.

All your responses here on this board have been GREAT! It's easy to tell the people who have the best knowledge are contibuting over HERE. I was only expecting Rog to chime in since he feels guilty for not helping me do the install! :)

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Have you had a chance to make some changes? Just wondering what you did and how it turned out.
Rick.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Funny you should ask.....I have been screwing with this thing for the past week.

I have been busting my butt on getting the ride hight set, and something is still wrong. I keep cranking down on the preload, setting at 11 1/2 or so, and after a few runs around the block, I come back in at about 9 1/2" or 10". Crank preload, rinse, repeat. Same thing every time. I am about 65% to 70% already spun down on the preload, and it has minimal effect. Something is not right.

I can press down on the front bumper, and it doesnt seem to want to come back up to a sag kind of feeling if that makes sense. Side to side rolling, no problem, and rear springs rise right back up. Press down on the front, and it just feels dead, thats the best way I can describe it.

I checked again for any binding, both front arms drop when I lift them, I cant see any binding anywhere.

My feelings at this point are that I am going to both up the front springs, and drop the rears (currently 200/475). I think that will help the front end "bounce" up a little better to a consistent spot. My understanding is that 475 is mostly for a 4 seater, it feels to me like they set up the shocks more for a 4 seater than 2. I am going to call them tomorrow to take them back down to them, and probably go 250/450 or as close to that as the springs allow.

Frustrated, but I know I am close to having it dialed. Im glad Im doing this in the summertime and not the weekend before a trip. :good:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts