Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a 2007 outlander 800 outlander! w/less than 100 miles on :D

any advise???

going to take it to desert dog for the install or is there anyone in las vegas installing the conversion???

getting ready for next season

i want to make it as reliable as possible

and is there any way to re route the air cleaner out of sight ?

thanks for your advise ............!

·
Registered
3,155 Posts

any advise???

going to take it to desert dog for the install or is there anyone in las vegas installing the conversion???

Yes, take it to Magnum offroad.

Rog

·
Registered
476 Posts
Either way he has to drive a state away...but I think So Cal is closer than Phx

I want to shit money so I can do a rotax swap!:mad:

·
Registered
2,988 Posts

any advise???

things I had to do to make reliable

remove desertdog fabbed exhaust and have custom header and ron wood exhaust, I had a intake made from ron wood, but it doesn't move the intake from current location, that probably could be done, but it hasn't been a problem, so I don't mess with it.
weld front diff bolts so they don't come loose.
get upgraded thrushaft installed at time of install
currently in process of upgrading rear axle set-up(possibly gear-one hubs or funco 930's)
other than that, not a whole lot to do, it's very reliable

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Weld frt diff bolt!
got to see a pic of that !

also i have gorilla axels now with long travel

thanks for all the info keep it coming:eek:k:

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
if you want to save $1000 you remove the front diff and split the cases
there is a large gear with bolts around it, they will come loose and shoot out the bottom of the diff and destroy the cases., you could drills holes in them and wire tie them together, or put a little weld on it to keep it there. It does take a talented welder to do it, but it will prevent alot of damage.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
if you want to save $1000 you remove the front diff and split the cases
there is a large gear with bolts around it, they will come loose and shoot out the bottom of the diff and destroy the cases., you could drills holes in them and wire tie them together, or put a little weld on it to keep it there. It does take a talented welder to do it, but it will prevent alot of damage.
are these the same ones that you said to green loctite?? mine goes in next week finally. One of the Corr racers that weller builds for is probably buying my engine.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
are these the same ones that you said to green loctite?? mine goes in next week finally. One of the Corr racers that weller builds for is probably buying my engine.
yes, we used the green industrial locktight on them, but decided to weld them to.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Max, you didnt like the modified stock exhaust????

How have your axles been holding up? I just twisted my left rear off! Luckily stockers are cheap with all you long travel guys giving them away!!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Max, you didnt like the modified stock exhaust????

How have your axles been holding up? I just twisted my left rear off! Luckily stockers are cheap with all you long travel guys giving them away!!
the stock exhaust was fine, it was the header that was crap.
how many pipes have one pipe 30 inches and the other 15?
I had a header made that has the same length pipes and didn't have a piece welded in to make the radius around the head.
I busted a gorilla after I tried running around in 2 wheel dr.
My car rides better when in 4 wheel high anyway and after fixing the front diff problem, I feel better about using 4 wheel dr to run 60mph all the time.
Plus 4 wheel dr spreads the power over all 4 axles and doesn't stress the rears so much. I want to upgrade the rears just cause I can and should.

·
Registered
102 Posts
the stock exhaust was fine, it was the header that was crap.
how many pipes have one pipe 30 inches and the other 15?
I had a header made that has the same length pipes and didn't have a piece welded in to make the radius around the head.
I busted a gorilla after I tried running around in 2 wheel dr.
My car rides better when in 4 wheel high anyway and after fixing the front diff problem, I feel better about using 4 wheel dr to run 60mph all the time.
Plus 4 wheel dr spreads the power over all 4 axles and doesn't stress the rears so much. I want to upgrade the rears just cause I can and should.
I was a little curious about the header.....but it was my only option at the time, so I ran with it. I am looking into some custom fab shops around here so I can get a cage and possibly a header done.

I am wondering about running in 2wd now......the front diff hasnt been opened up at all. Everything seems to be working fine for now. I guess I will have to wait and see when/if the next axke breaks. If it does, I may have to go for the gorilla's. It just sucks paying almost $400 for one axle!!! Hell, I can get car axles all day that are much bigger for less than $100 bucks!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
how would you beef up rear for 2wd ??? 2wd is fun in the dunes side ways !!
i have gorilla on all four right now!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I was a little curious about the header.....but it was my only option at the time, so I ran with it. I am looking into some custom fab shops around here so I can get a cage and possibly a header done.

I am wondering about running in 2wd now......the front diff hasnt been opened up at all. Everything seems to be working fine for now. I guess I will have to wait and see when/if the next axke breaks. If it does, I may have to go for the gorilla's. It just sucks paying almost $400 for one axle!!! Hell, I can get car axles all day that are much bigger for less than $100 bucks!!
if your gonna stick with stock cv's, don't waste your money on gorillas.
go to magnum and get a few sets of summers brothers axles, there better than most anything out and far cheaper than gorillas and you can replace them without all the hassle of the gorrillas. I will either go this way or spend the $3000+ on a gear one hub set up.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
well what are these guys running woth their weller 720s & 760's are they having the same problem, or not as much tourqe as the V-Twin??

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
well what are these guys running woth their weller 720s & 760's are they having the same problem, or not as much tourqe as the V-Twin??
No more axle probs than anyone else. I think Regis H is running summers brothers axles on his I-Shock race rhino. upon inspection recently the splines were starting to twist and he replaced before the next race.

Bobonthis would know what the wellers use. And I think he has more torque than the stock 800 rotax probably.

Rog

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MUSH IN VEGAS
we'll have to go riding after we get the rhinos transplant done!
i'm in summerlin area .... i'm going to build a couple extra axels to take with
next dune season .......:good:

Thanks max powers for all the good info!!

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
oh yeah, i have a pretty good place to ride right out my gargage. Is Jay doin your swap or someone else.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts