Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few of us are getting together August 30th weekend. It would be nice to see some of you who are in the area. It will be mostly trail riding and hill jumping. Bring your ride and your camera. :yahoo:pM me for directions.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'll be there Mark, sounds like a good time!

·
Registered
81 Posts
So how many people are you expecting for the 30Th Mark? Is there anyone coming from up North or just me? I still need to find someone willing to haul my Rhino for me if possible, and I'll help with the gasoline of course.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Several people I've talked to said they would like to come, but have plans at that time. The closest person to you is in Excelsior Springs. Most of the people I've talked to would be coming from other directions if they do. I'll send you an email to figure something out. Mark

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dont think Im gonna make it Mark. Rhino is down. The fuel pump doesnt seem to be the problem now. Got a new fuel pump and still wont run with the choke off. Only will Idle with the choke on. Liberty cycle said they cant get it in till after labor day. Ive tried all I can.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Dont think Im gonna make it Mark. Rhino is down. The fuel pump doesnt seem to be the problem now. Got a new fuel pump and still wont run with the choke off. Only will Idle with the choke on. Liberty cycle said they cant get it in till after labor day. Ive tried all I can.
check for a cracked intake rubber piece. or bad vacuum line to the pump.

we will help with ideas to get ya going if we can!!!!

Rog

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well heres the deal Ive messed with the Idle screw and the air/fuel mixture screw. To keep it running I have the choke on, and it Idles so high that it wont even shift. Ive taken off and checked all the lines for cracks, clogs and breaks. New plug. Check the gas tank of obstructions. Check the air box and filter. When I do get it to idle right w/out the choke is when I put my hand over the air intake and leave a small hole for air. So to me it seems its not getting enough fuel.(that why I replace the fuel pump) When It did run It would back fire when I would let off the gas pedal. Im no carb person.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Considering he fact that it runs with the choke on and the backfiring you describe I can almost guarantee you simply have a clogged pilot jet in the carburetor or clogged fuel filter at worst but it could be a simple as opening up the low speed mixture screw a bit to cure your ride. Most likely a one hour repair in the worse case scenario.

Did you ever "bottom out" and tighten the mixture screw? Hopefully not, try anywhere from 2 to 4 complete 360 degree turns out from lightly seated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Considering he fact that it runs with the choke on and the backfiring you describe I can almost guarantee you simply have a clogged pilot jet in the carburetor or clogged fuel filter at worst but it could be a simple as opening up the low speed mixture screw a bit to cure your ride. Most likely a one hour repair in the worse case scenario.

Did you ever "bottom out" and tighten the mixture screw? Hopefully not, try anywhere from 2 to 4 complete 360 degree turns out from lightly seated.
fuel filter is new and also clean, first thing I checked. As for the mixture screw yes Ive taking it all the way in and thats were I started. I started with 1 full 360* turn and up a 1/4 turn till I hit 5 full turns that where I stopped, afraid of it falling out. And had the same effect running as before other then it idled faster with the choke on. As for the low speed mixture screw I dunno where that is or what to do.

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
fuel filter is new and also clean, first thing I checked. As for the mixture screw yes Ive taking it all the way in and thats were I started. I started with 1 full 360* turn and up a 1/4 turn till I hit 5 full turns that where I stopped, afraid of it falling out. And had the same effect running as before other then it idled faster with the choke on. As for the low speed mixture screw I dunno where that is or what to do.
That is the only mix screw.

pull the bowl and check all of the jets, there are three, one is a starter jet though and will prob say 50 on it. one main and a little jet.

Rog

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok I did pull the factory plug to the mixture screw and adjusted it. I put a jet kit in and did the same thing. Then I put it back to factory needle and jet. The idle thing has been doing this the whole time, factory needle and with jet kit. Now as it sits the carb is with all original parts. Question, would the heater plug cause this. I just noticed that the tip of the heater is broke off of the bottom of the carb?

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Ok I did pull the factory plug to the mixture screw and adjusted it. I put a jet kit in and did the same thing. Then I put it back to factory needle and jet. The idle thing has been doing this the whole time, factory needle and with jet kit. Now as it sits the carb is with all original parts. Question, would the heater plug cause this. I just noticed that the tip of the heater is broke off of the bottom of the carb?

Will it idle high with just the idle thumb screw, or still need choke??

·
Registered
81 Posts
First the carburetor heater being broke should affect nothing, it's just to prevent the throttle from freezing in place when riding in cool climates due to the venturi effect.

I think you simply have a screwed up carburetor and or one hell of a vacuum leak. The fact that it WILL RUN with the choke tells me it's simply to lean.

If you cant get it fixed before the Ride at Marks why not bring it and all the carburetor parts you have and I'm quite certain we can have it running well within minutes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts