Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know, with all the talk about the new 1000 Cat coming......many people are getting excited! Talks of a 70+hp motor with 188ft./lb of torque sounds nice! But you have to wonder if this is a real smart idea by the Fat Cat makers???

This weekend, for the first time I installed the stock wheels and tires on my 06 rhino. I have the rotax 800 swap and ONLY a dalton clutch kit.

When I drove this thing out on the trails, did some hill climbing, my normal stuff, it was absolutley INSANE!! If Yamaha put anything close to this engine in the rhino, they would have more that a handful of broken leg lawsuits.......they would have several deaths to deal with!

NO joke people, it is like nothing more than driving a ford ranger 2wd with a 302ci engine on glare ice! You just touch the throttle and its sideways!! I came down a hill onto grass and blipped it and let off, spun all the way around doing almost a 360!!

I have now reinstalled my heavy ass mudlite XTR's and its much more controlled now. I can smoke any rhino/teyx/rzr, and I can keep things under control this way too!

I love the power, but honestly, I think when it comes to the manufacturer's side, I think Yami is doing the right thing by giving the rhino a decent engine, efi, good looks, reliability, etc. I think if they installed a 60-70hp engine, it would be mass lawsuits! Many new drivers would get out of line with something like this and get hurt much worse than a simple roll-over!

Just my $.02!!

Now on with the rotax swaps!:clap:

·
Registered
450 Posts
No more rediculous than a Cummins turbo in a rat rod

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=mVlov_t4fjg&feature=related]YouTube - cummins rat rod[/ame] :yahoo:

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
You know, with all the talk about the new 1000 Cat coming......many people are getting excited! Talks of a 70+hp motor with 188ft./lb of torque sounds nice! But you have to wonder if this is a real smart idea by the Fat Cat makers???

This weekend, for the first time I installed the stock wheels and tires on my 06 rhino. I have the rotax 800 swap and ONLY a dalton clutch kit.

When I drove this thing out on the trails, did some hill climbing, my normal stuff, it was absolutley INSANE!! If Yamaha put anything close to this engine in the rhino, they would have more that a handful of broken leg lawsuits.......they would have several deaths to deal with!

NO joke people, it is like nothing more than driving a ford ranger 2wd with a 302ci engine on glare ice! You just touch the throttle and its sideways!! I came down a hill onto grass and blipped it and let off, spun all the way around doing almost a 360!!

I have now reinstalled my heavy ass mudlite XTR's and its much more controlled now. I can smoke any rhino/teyx/rzr, and I can keep things under control this way too!

I love the power, but honestly, I think when it comes to the manufacturer's side, I think Yami is doing the right thing by giving the rhino a decent engine, efi, good looks, reliability, etc. I think if they installed a 60-70hp engine, it would be mass lawsuits! Many new drivers would get out of line with something like this and get hurt much worse than a simple roll-over!

Just my $.02!!

Now on with the rotax swaps!:clap:
welcome to rhinotalk frank, glad you made it

I tell people this all the time, ask blake rhinomayhem how fast it can get you in trouble, he was showing my ride to ryanpsd and just tapped the throttle off a jump and it launched him. You definetly wouldn't want to let your 10yr old cruise it around camp.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
id like to ride in a rotax to see what they are like....
I dragged an r1 at pismo, you now who kong is don't you? I asked him to not embarass me to bad. I actually pulled him off the line, then he shifted into 2ncd and went right on by me. He was having some loose chain problems, seem to be an issue with the r1, but I think I read somewhere someone has a solution for it. Anyone that puts that r1 in there rhino, better be a skilled driver at 100% attention, 100% of the time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am sure that the R1 is even worse........but you guys also have to realize I am running on stock suspension.....no long travel here! I am sure if I had a long travel it would be much more stable.

I think all the manufacturers are going to watch and see how this turns out with the cat. It will give them a little taste of whats to come if they go with a big-bore SxS, and if cat ends up with a lawsuit because the machine is too fast and people start crashing them at 70mph and getting killed, the others will know they did the right thing!

The point is guys, these machines running this fast is very dangerous! And my advice to anyone with ANY sort of swapped rhino or any other machine is DONT under any circumstances let ANYONE else drive your vehicle. Its almost guaranteed to be a disaster because most people dont have enough respect for these machines and what they are capable of. Shit gets out of hand real quick when you can accelerate like some can!!

Max, what tires are you running on your rhino?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey......how do I change the title under my screen name? My ass isnt 1/4 throttle.....Im WFO baby!!!

·
CommanderTalk.com
1,706 Posts
Hey......how do I change the title under my screen name? My ass isnt 1/4 throttle.....Im WFO baby!!!
LOL keep posting, you will hit WOT in no time ;)

On another note, welcome, it is great to have you with us! :wave:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
just a quick question to the rotax guys. i've never ridden in one with the rotax conversion, but how much faster is it than say a weller built 720 or even a rzr? SORRRY DIDN'T MEAN TE HIJACK YOU. SO I STARTED A NEW THREAD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Who did the install for you and how much was it? I just bought a 2005 with 686 kit in it and running 110 octane is getting expensive, not to mention, reliability in the future may be a concern. The guy I bought it from put LOT's of money into it, so beefing up the motor is something I'd like to do. Do you recommend the ROTAX over the SV1 conversion?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts