Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jacked this from another forum..........

Off-highway vehicle bill passes Arizona Senate, goes to Governor

June 24, 2008

Long-awaited legislation that will help better manage off-highway vehicle (OHV) recreation and protect wildlife habitat passed the Arizona Senate yesterday and has been sent to the Governor.

Senate Bill 1167, also known as the “Off-Highway Vehicle Bill,” passed the Senate by a vote of 16-7, with 7 members not voting.

The bill has been transmitted to Gov. Janet Napolitano and awaits her signature.

SB 1167 will provide long-overdue resources to better manage issues created by the dramatic increase in OHV use in Arizona (347 percent in the last decade). Irresponsible riding has damaged habitat and created the potential for closures of some areas.

With the passage of SB 1167, revenue raised through an estimated $20 annual user fee (exact amount to be determined through a public rule making process) on off-highway vehicles will help provide funding for additional law enforcement, trail/facility maintenance and reconstruction, rider education and information (including identification of lawful places for operators to ride), and mitigation of resource damage from OHVs.

This “user play, user pay” approach is similar to that used by hunters and anglers, where sportsmen pay license fees to support their hunting and fishing opportunities and benefits. In this case, OHV users will pay the annual user fee to support the sustainable management of their recreational opportunities and resource protection.

“We’re thrilled to see this legislation pass,” said Arizona Game and Fish Commission Chairman Bill McLean. “Balancing the protection of wildlife habitat with opportunities for responsible OHV recreation has been a priority of the Game and Fish Commission. We worked hard on this bill with sponsor Rep. Jerry Weiers and the coalition of supporters, and we’re looking forward to its implementation.”

“This was drastically needed to keep up with the explosive growth of OHV use in our state,” said Mike Senn, assistant director for field operations for the Arizona Game and Fish Department. “It provides beefed-up tools—information/education efforts on responsible riding, trail development and habitat mitigation, new laws to address irresponsible riding, and seven new OHV law enforcement officers—to better manage OHV recreation and protect wildlife habitat.”

The bill passed through the Arizona House of Representatives in April by a vote of 42-13.

Key supporters in the Legislature were Rep. Jerry Weiers (R-District 10) and Sen. Linda Gray (R-District 12).

The bill was supported by a diverse coalition of organizations, including the Arizona Game and Fish Commission, Arizona Game and Fish Department, Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition, Responsible Trails America (Arizona Chapter), Arizona Sportsmen for Wildlife, Arizona Power Sports Industry Association, Wildlife Conservation Council, Apache County ATV Roughriders, Sierra Club (Grand Canyon Chapter), Arizona Motor Sports Association, Arizona Wildlife Federation, Drew and the Crew Motor Sports, National Rifle Association, Arizona Council of Trout Unlimited, The Nature Conservancy, Sonoran Institute, Arizona State Parks, and Arizona State Land Department, among others.

When signed by the Governor, the OHV bill would become law on Jan. 1, 2009.

For additional information, visit Off-Highway Vehicles Arizona

I don't have anything nice to say....... I'm going to bed. FUCK!

·
CommanderTalk.com
1,706 Posts
Don't we already pay a licensing fee? Last time I checked I had to pay for a State Trust Permit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This has been a heated topic on RA also. Just wait and ask for accountability of the funds going to what they said they were going toward, not what they actually went for. No provision to prevent them from raiding it for the general fund.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got confused about the law. So I called G&F and asked the spokesman pointed questions.

Q - Will off road vehicles still be street legal
A - Yes they will and it will be about $23 instead of over $100

Q - Can I drive on State Land without permit
A - Yes. The fee INCLUDES the permit to drive on state land

Q - Does Local LEO know that we will STILL be street Legal after law is in effect?
A - Yes (Some one will have to remind the Local LEO that)

Q - What will the money go to?
A - It will fund new rangers in the different regions that deal exclusively with off road issues, Help to build and maintain trails (we'll see about that) and help educate the people not to drive off road.

The conversation I had was just as I suspected. He told me exactly what I wanted to hear. Why to I know this? because he is a bureaucrat as I am. I work for Municipal Government and see all kinds of misuse but, there are good things that do come out of some programs. I guess we will find out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got confused about the law. So I called G&F and asked the spokesman pointed questions. I'm still confused.......

Q - Will off road vehicles still be street legal
A - Yes they will and it will be about $23 instead of over $100 "still", I'm not street legal now, will this permit allow me to drive on the street without registering?? Also, if I do register my rig and make it street legal, would I still be required to get a permit to drive it off road. What about my pick-up truck. If I want to go target shooting, do I need to get a permit for it to drive it off-road????

Q - Can I drive on State Land without permit
A - Yes. The fee INCLUDES the permit to drive on state land

Q - Does Local LEO know that we will STILL be street Legal after law is in effect?
A - Yes (Some one will have to remind the Local LEO that)

Q - What will the money go to?
A - It will fund new rangers in the different regions that deal exclusively with off road issues, Help to build and maintain trails (we'll see about that) and help educate the people not to drive off road. Any idea what regions they're thinking of?

The conversation I had was just as I suspected. He told me exactly what I wanted to hear. Why to I know this? because he is a bureaucrat as I am. I work for Municipal Government and see all kinds of misuse but, there are good things that do come out of some programs. I guess we will find out.

Thanks for the info.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
From what I get out of this if you are not street legal this will allow you to be providing you register and comply with the additional equipment i.e Horn, Mirror, Brake light, Headlight (I don't know any atv that doesn't have one) a lighted license plate holder and emissions check if over a certain age and that is an idle check so I have been told (plus the fee to have atv emissions checked). and you won't need a separate state land permit to ride off road and when it is time to renew your license the next time all you pay is $23. if you don't want to be street legal you still pay $23 so you can ride off road.
A newer ATV/UTV like my Prowler won't need emissions for 5 years as it is an 08.
One thing I forgot to say, when someone registers their OHV you sign a declaration that you will put horn, light etc. and the DVM won't check this. But if you are on the road and LEO stops you...ooops

When it comes to vehicles other than ATV/UTV I don't know the answer to that. I too would like to go shooting and if I didn't have a state land permit would this cover it? More research and questions to ask.

The regions that will get the new officers are the ones that exist now in the state. Check the G&F site for where those are at.
Hope this helps.

·
CommanderTalk.com
1,706 Posts
Thanks for the information, I will take some time to read and get familiar with this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I emailed G&F some questions we've been kicking around. Here is their reply.

Mr. Anderson,

Wow, there are a lot of questions in your e-mail and I will do my best to answer all of them.

1) If my ohv is licensed and "street legal". Would I still be required to purchase an ohv permit to drive it off-road?

The State Trust Land Department is still to determine what will happen with the permit they currently require above your license fee to use their property. However, would you be required to get a different license if your machine is already street legal? That answer would be no, your street legal license will stay the same, but the price will be the low flat fee that is currently estimated between 20 and 25 dollars.

2) If my ohv is NOT licensed, not "street legal", would a new ohv sticker/plate/permit allow me to drive it on the roads?

Our goal is that for just a few dollars more than the 20 to 25 dollar user fee you will be able to use a street legal machine on the roads. You will be required to make sure your machine is street legal in the eyes of the motor vehicle department which are the required parts needed in the rules and regs brochure on our website at Arizona Game and Fish Department: azgfd.gov. Without those parts your machine will be legal for off road use, but will need the parts like a rear view mirror to be street legal and driven on the roads.

3) Would I be required to get an ohv sticker/plate/permit for my 4x4 pick-up truck in order to drive it off-road for hunting/target shooting etc?

Your pick-up truck is already registered and plated by MVD. If you plan to go onto State Land a permit is needed for recreational use. If you are actively in the act of hunting you can go across state land as you follow your animal or to retrieve harvested game. Otherwise, even to glass, you need the use permit, but it’s still to be determined what will happen after the first of the year. As for target shooting you need to make sure your extremely careful on that. Always know what’s behind where you are shooting, treat all firearms as if they are loaded and in some areas it is illegal to be out target shooting, you need to check with the land owner or State Land to make sure what you are doing is legal and within their operating standards.

I hope this e-mail answers many of your questions. Feel free to call me with any other thoughts at 623-236-7223.

Thanks for your questions!

Sincerely,

Jim Harken – Off-Highway Vehicle – Public Information Officer

AZGFD

623-236-7223

So feel free to call everybody!!! However, I would recommend e-mail, so everything is documented.

I've read, and reread their reply but am still a little confused?????

I think I need to lay off the sauce and call them to straighten things out.....

More to come.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's some more clarification......

Clint,

Thanks for the clarifications and again, I’m going to try my best to give you answers. We’re still getting this all straight on our end as well!

1. According to our law enforcement division, technically within the state of Arizona there is no “public” off-road land. Every square inch of this state is owned by someone or something. State Land owns some, BLM owns some, the Feds own some and the rest if private. That being said there are some areas like BLM land that is open for the public to use with no permit or lock code needed. SO to answer your second part, No further permits other than possibly the State Trust permit are needed for your machine. Possibly, and this is what is being determined, after the first of the year you might not even need the State Land permit once you have your new plate/sticker in place.

2. If you have all the parts on your machine that would allow for it to be considered “Street Legal,” then, and this is still being worked out as well, for just a couple dollars more on the new plate you will be able to make your machine licensed for street use. Say the estimated cost is 25 dollars, we hope that for like 27 or 28 you’ll be able to be street legal. As far as MVD is concerned, yes you will have to have insurance because as a street legal machine you fall under all the rules of the road, just like any other car or truck and in Arizona road law states that you have to carry proof of insurance, especially in case of an accident.

3. As for your 4X4, no you will not need a special permit outside of your regular license plate. However, washes are not specified places to ride/shoot or do any other activities you mentioned. That is not an approved road or trail and we caution against using washes in that way. Washed are habitat for several species of animals and we are against anything that may harm that area, especially if the area is not cleaned up when you leave, I’m sure you’re a good responsible person, but the guy that comes in after you might not be and we want to stop irresponsible use everywhere. And again, a wash is not “public” land. It is owned by someone or something.

As for your machine the cheapest way to enjoy the outdoors is to just have the base RV plate license and stay off of State Land , however, they own slivers of land all over the state so for just 15 dollars a year you can ride off-road on almost any trail. If you want to be street legal, then it costs to register the machine and have insurance.

If you are currently street legal and have the plate from ADOT, then after Jan 1, 2009 you will get a new plate that will still be a street legal plate, but your registration fee will be that 20-25 dollar fee, you will still need to have insurance for street use.

I hope I’ve answered your questions. Feel free to call me if this isn’t clear enough.

Thanks!

Jim Harken - PIO

AZGFD

623-236-7223

1 - 15 of 15 Posts