Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My name is Curley and I'm new to this forum but old to motor sports. I'm 51 and live in the thriving metropolis of Saint Joseph, MO. It's a crappy little agricultural based community about 50 miles due north of Kansas City.
I grew up on a farm riding motorcycles every minute I could, got my first one at age 6 and a day has never passed that I did not own a cycle or ATV of some type. Started working in a local bike shop in my early teens cleaning up and assembling new bikes etc. I loved the work and luckily I made a career of it. In the right place at the right time.
In 2000 I was teaching at a motorcycle tech school in Arizona, I took a little trip on a long weekend and had an accident that not only ended my career by my ability to ride on 2 wheels. While riding along a narrow 2 lane highway an illegal immigrant traveling towards me crossed the center line and hit me head on. I woke up a month later minus my left arm & leg then spent a total of 366 days in the hospital to live the rest of my days in a wheelchair. With the driver being an illegal immigrant with no insurance there was nobody to file a legal claim against, it would only cost me lawyer fees for nothing so I was screwed. I had just gotten divorced months earlier, she got it all & I got the bills so I had nothing to fall back on.
Well life sucked and not being able to ride meant it was not worth living to me, I was depressed over the next few years. In 2003 an old coworker that was working for Yamaha in Cypress contacted me and told about the upcoming Rhino. It had no name yet at that time but he described it as a Ranger with Balls! A smaller more nimble machine with the Grizzly drivetrain and automotive controls. I could still drive a car with an automatic transmission so I was interested to put it mildly but flat broke with only SSDI income, back to square one.
Luckily I have the best Brother on the planet that is doing very well in life, he surprised me in October of 05 with a gift, a beautiful Blue 2006 Rhino SE. He is an engineer and after a few hours in the garage we had it modified so I could operate it safely and easily. Smiles are much easier to come by these days and being able to ride again... words can't describe how much it means to me to be able to get back out into the woods I love so dearly.

That's my life in a nutshell almost... The best thing in my life is my 11 yr. old Daughter Cheyenne.

There is not much for riding areas in my zip code so if you live anywhere near me and don't mind helping me unload then load my Rhino at the end of the day, and don't mind helping me get into & out of the Rhino lets get together and ride! Once I'm in the seat you won't spend your day fooling with me, I won't need anything until the ride ends. Once in a blue moon I like a beer (after 4:20pm of course) but otherwise I'm a bit square.. lol. I'm a bit of a modern day environmentalist (some might call me a hippie) that practices responsible off-road riding. I have no problem climbing the meanest nastiest terrain and using the land responsibly, but if your the kind of guy that throws trash along the trail or needlessly digs a rut a few feet deeper and smoking your clutch in the process when you get stuck, instead of having a friend pull you out or winching out then we might not get along real well. I have seen to many great riding areas closed due to this behavior.

email me at [email protected] if you want to ride or if you are having trouble with your American or Asian bike, quad, ski, sled or RTV and I'll be glad to help if possible. If it's a Harley (or clone), Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki or Kawasaki I'm glad to help.

Hope to see you along the trail,
Curley
[email protected]

·
CommanderTalk.com
1,706 Posts
Well that was a heck of an intro!

Great to have you with us my friend :wave: looking forward to seeing you around often!

·
Registered
142 Posts
:wave:That was the longest intro I've ever seen. Yea, Curley I'd be happy to help you get to the ride. :good: I'll send you an email to set something up. I'm glad you finaly made the trip over to this site. :wave:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Welcome Curley! If you ever make it to AZ with your Rhino. I'd be happy to go on a ride with you.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Howdy best intro that I have ever seen. Nice work. You are welcome to ride with us anytime in Arizona, just wait until the winter it is hot as hell out here now.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Curly, glad you came on over...all your responses are well thought out and logical..Ive read lots of replys from you that have helped many a peeps out.....goodbayou!

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
welcome curly, glad you made it over here, your input and tech experience will be an asset to our forum. why beer only after 4:20 is that am or pm. j/k:good:

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Welcome.... Great to have you join!

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Welcome Curly! I just found this thread, It is nice to see you join in the fun! Thats the best intro I have ever read. I used to work in Physical Therapy at Hoag Hospital in newport beach. i worked with people who had major challenges. So congratulations on your return to Riding and getting out in the woods again. We are lucky to have you as a member of our forum.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I have spent a good amount of time talking to Curley on the phone periodically and let me tell you he is one cool guy. Absolute pleasure to have you here.

I am leaving for san Diego tomorrow night and will be back at the end of next week. Your DT Hook will be in the mail when I get home. It already is drilled out, I was just too damn stupid to get it shipped before our trip. Sorry Curley.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts