Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took both my 4 seater Rhinos to a local shop over in Hemet to get a roof put on. When I picked it up I noticed they used 2 pieces of metal and they were held together with Rivets..... they did this on both Rhinos.

If I am not mistaken every roof that I have seen was one peice. Why would they make it out of 2 pieces? Was this done to save money? I cant figure out why they would do it..... is this acceptable or should I make them fix it?

I just want some more info before I call them. I dont know much abot fabrication.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I rolled my own roof out of one piece,does your go to the outside of the cage bars or the inside of the cage bars?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
mines 2 pc but zues clipped not riveted. the sheets are 4ft wide i assume unless you order bigger, so 2 pc. it is. I don't have any trouble with mine, and i can take off the front and leave the back on for the kid if i really ever wanted to.
would have been nice for them to tell you that before they started, my fab guy did.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Mine is held on with Adel clamps,screws and nuts. It is a pain to take off but I always keep it on so its not that big a deal. I didn't want to mess with rivit so I used a single sheet and it fits on the inside of the bars nicely.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got it made at Taylors (Rhino Tech). Although I would not recomend taking it there. I am not to happy with my experience. It was supposed to take 2 days..... I just got it back 2 weeks later. I called many times and nobody answered..... I left voice mails but nobody returned my calls. I finally caught the owner on his cell phone and he told me it would go to powdercoat the next day. I finally drove over there about 5 days after that phone conversation to see what was going on. They had just started working on it......

They used rivets to hold the roof to my Rhino..... He told me about it ahead of time and I told him that was fine. However they mised the cage a few times and now there is rivets sticking thru my roof.

Also instead of getting black foam tape to put in between the cage and the roof they used white foam tape. They didnt take the backing off of it either. It looks kind of trashy because you can see the white tape from the outside.

My biggest concern is the 2 piece roof....

Crappy workmanship..... I am not happy.... But I was just glad to get my Rhino back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
They probably did it to save money because a 4x10 sheet is less than a 5x10 which is what we use to make roofs for four seaters that way it is one piece and is held on with dzues tabs.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well if a few others have 2 piece roofs then I guess I dont need to be worried about it..... I never really looked at other roofs that close before.

But it was still a bad experience. A few of my friends have had good experiences with them..... I guess I wasnt lucky.

They were closer to me than my normal shop Custom Motorsports. Plus I like to try out new shops every now and then. That is what I get for being lazy. I should of drove the extra miles and took it to my regular guy.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
They used rivets to hold the roof to my Rhino..... He told me about it ahead of time and I told him that was fine. However they mised the cage a few times and now there is rivets sticking thru my roof.

Also instead of getting black foam tape to put in between the cage and the roof they used white foam tape. They didnt take the backing off of it either. It looks kind of trashy because you can see the white tape from the outside.

Crappy workmanship..... I am not happy.... But I was just glad to get my Rhino back.
sorry rivets sticking thru the roof is not acceptable, it would have to be re-done, and while they are at it change the tape to black. sorry to hear this mike
PS i hope it's not a CA company lol

·
Registered
280 Posts
srry to hear about it Mike, if you let them off the hook they will do shity work on the next guys and the next. rivets sticking through the roof is enough for me not to pay them till its right.

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
sorry rivets sticking thru the roof is not acceptable, it would have to be re-done, and while they are at it change the tape to black. sorry to hear this mike
PS i hope it's not a CA company lol
I agree with Mush, "rivets sticking thru the roof " they should fix it and make it the right color tape for you. Do you want them to have your Rhino for another 2 weeks? Can they be trusted is a good question to ask them.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Agree with everybody... They should make it right and you should push the issue if you are not happy, did they explain it up front and did you see their work? We always spend the extra time going over the options and making sure that you the customer is fully happy with the work and the decision you make.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Normally I wouldnt of took my Rhino.... I would of made them fix it. But I was just happy to get it back. I am going to call them tomorrow and see what they have to say about it.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did they make it two pieces so you can use the two seater top???

Or just shoddy work.

Rog

Hmmmm... Theres a thought. I will go out and check that out in the morning. I never thought of that. Great thought!

I dont care what Jimmy and Todd say about you..... You are OK with me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
well this honestly is a bunch of bs to me personally. i say this because i go out of my way to make every roof out of one piece. the whole thing about saving money for the smaller sheet is completly pointless because i know that every customer that has a roof from me has gladly said they would rather pay the extra $20 for one piece and because of this i only offer one piece roofs. i have done probably 100 roofs and every single one is vinyled on the bottom side which prevents the rattling noise and makes them look much more professional. just for kicks and giggles i will even have to mention that i even have done a ranger crew with a nine seater cage all out of one piece so this whole two piece thing on a rhino cage is non sense.

pm if you are in need of a roof!!!!!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I think mike figured out he took it to the wrong place.
Hindsight is 20/20
I would have thought you for sure would take it to tim at sdr.
I know I wouldn't be taking it back to the morons who did it in the first place.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think mike figured out he took it to the wrong place.
Hindsight is 20/20
I would have thought you for sure would take it to tim at sdr.
I know I wouldn't be taking it back to the morons who did it in the first place.

Yep..... I tried a new shop that was closer to my house. I should of took it to Tim or Custom Motorsports. Oh well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts