Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 660, and all of a sudden am having a really bad popping sound at about half-full throttle. The rhino sat for a while, and when I went to move it this started happening.....I have replace the fuel filter with an automotive one, and it has an aftermarket fuel pump that seems to be working properly. It does have a black rhino cdi, any ideas????
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I have an 04 660, and all of a sudden am having a really bad popping sound at about half-full throttle. The rhino sat for a while, and when I went to move it this started happening.....I have replace the fuel filter with an automotive one, and it has an aftermarket fuel pump that seems to be working properly. It does have a black rhino cdi, any ideas????
Thanks!
you need to clean the carb.

·
Registered
466 Posts
if the carb clean dont help,,,,change out the aftermarket cdi with your stock one and see if it helps..I always carry mine in the glove box, just in case:good:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cleaned the carb, COMPLETELY, but no change in running condition, next I will find a stock CDI and try it. Any other ideas???

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Being I just took the carb off to clean it, I did make sure the intake boot to head was on properly, does the rest of the intake assembly have to be on for it to run properly? I do not have the aircleaner assembly on it yet, just wanted to run it first.
Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also a note, when it is run at full throttle, it seems there is fuel spraying out the front of the carb, like into the aircleaner???

·
Registered
37 Posts
i am having the same problems.. when im pussy foot'en around it runs nice but when i stomp on it or go to climb a hill, it cuts out like is running out of gas... sputtering real bad and cutting out like its choked... both fuel and air filters are clean.. i do have black rhino cdi and after market fuel pump...

also when i turned my key on yesterday the pump was ticking real bad... it sounded like trying to start a car with a dead battery...

any help?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Fuel in the air cleaner??? Obviously something is not right with the carb. I would get the carb serviced. If it's a stock carb, and the service shop wants more than $100 to service it... throw it in the trash, someone here should have another stocker laying around they would sell you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Have you checked the spark plug to see if its dirty, could have gotten fouled from sitting and then starting it oil could have gotten into it and fouled it, also check and make sure the spark plug boot is fitting tightly on the plug, had mine come loose on my Grizzly one day and caused a similar problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tried it all!

Ok guys I have tried all suggestions, and to no avail it still is popping like crazy! It will not even go into highdrive.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ok guys I have tried all suggestions, and to no avail it still is popping like crazy! It will not even go into highdrive.
Try going to an 8 or 9 heat range plug....these motors run to hot for the standard plug...plug breaks down but reads good

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update!!!

Ok so I just went to check the boot from carb to intake manifold, looks fine, but I decided to fire it and run without the aircleaner, and I see fuel spraying out of the FRONT of the carb when the popping starts? What the HECK!!!:mad:

·
Registered
2 Posts
WABMAR- I was having a similar problem with my '05 660. Backfiring, wouldn't idle, hard to start etc. etc. After extensive carb cleaning, spark plug replacing, and brain storming, the problem remained. I disconnected the quickconnects on several electrical wiring harnesses and discovered moisture in the connectors. I sprayed them down with WD40, and voila! It runs like new again. Not sure if this is your problem, but it may be worth looking at.

·
Registered
49 Posts
mine was doing a rapid backfire and it was happening because I had an exhaust leak at the head- Mikey didnt tighting them all the way-where a little loose. it also could have been because never replaced them and had my exhaust on and off 10+ times. anyways tighting them up and was fine- ordred some new gaskets and going to put them on

1 - 17 of 17 Posts