Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:I need help, my 07 rhino backfires through the carb at idle. It only has 22 hrs on it & is stock except for A BRP CDI. I have fresh fuel in it, a new fuel filter & I have removed & cleaned the carb twice. I have looked over the boots & sprayed alot of starting fluid with no change in idle. Besides at idle it runs perfect. I am thinking about the air/fuel mixture but I have not seen it when the carb was off, I need someone to post a pic of it. Please help.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mine was doing that too. I had changed the fuel filter and mounted the rollover valve sideways. It would run out of fuel then get a rush and backfire. It is a little black cylinder looking unit hooked up to the downtube of the cage just to the center of the fuel pump. Maybe it got moved during your carb cleaning and fuel filter changes?? I just noticed you live in Hemet. I can show you if need be. We should hook up for a ride in Bee Canyon sometime.

Justin

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
:confused:I need help, my 07 rhino backfires through the carb at idle. It only has 22 hrs on it & is stock except for A BRP CDI. I have fresh fuel in it, a new fuel filter & I have removed & cleaned the carb twice. I have looked over the boots & sprayed alot of starting fluid with no change in idle. Besides at idle it runs perfect. I am thinking about the air/fuel mixture but I have not seen it when the carb was off, I need someone to post a pic of it. Please help.
pull the choke (enrichener) out some, see if it gets better. if it does, reset your mix screw. ( under the brass plug on bottom)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pull the choke (enrichener) out some, see if it gets better. if it does, reset your mix screw. ( under the brass plug on bottom)
It does get better with the choke along with higher idle, that's how I've mostly been running it. How do I know what to set the mix screw at without pulling the carb on & off numerous times to try it. Thanx for your reply & yours also JMS.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was thinking a cracked header pipe too. But it should do it on deceleration not just at idle but it's at least worth looking at.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I believe I put mine all the way in and 2 1/2 turns out should do it. Just be careful if you have to drill out the plug.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK great, I will start with the 2 1/2 turns out. I'm hoping to get to it tonight. My goal is to get it running normal before loading it up for Thanksgiving trip Tuesday night. Another quick question, should I spray a little lube on the choke plunger before I re-install it back into the carb this time?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I drilled out the brass plug & found what I thought was the mix screw. It was screwed all the way in, so I backed it out 2 1/2 turns. Unfortunately it didn't fix it. But now that I've ran it again I realize that the small backfire through the carb that I'm talking about is actually more when you start to ease into the throttle or hold it at low RPM's. The carburetor was black inside around the butterfly. I just figure this is from the backfiring.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
don't drill it

the mix screw is like a normal carb, you can take it out and see the needle end.

check the vacuum diaphram for holes/tears on top of slide. it might be that it is not opening soon enough.

also do you have all the stock air box on it??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't checked the vacuum diaphram yet because when I tried I stripped out the screws they were so TIGHT. I do have all the stock air box on it with an AFE replacement filter. If I adjust the mix screw again ([email protected] 1/2) would you go less or more? Thanx

·
Registered
5 Posts
im not a big 4-stroke motor guy but when u changed the air filter to aftermarket im sure it gets more air now did u rejet for the filter. just a thought might be a stupid one but first thing that comes to mind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
backfires thru the carb

Hey guys my 06 660 backfires thru the carb when it is on a cold day It just don't seem to want to warmup. I just bought it and it was doing fine until it got cold.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You have to get those screws off the top and check the diaphram. I know they sell a kit that replaces those cheap screw heads with allen keys to alleviate the problem. I would also look at rejetting if you changed the intake at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Where do you buy that screw replacement kit at? Cause I was just gonna go to the hardware store. Also about the AFE replacement filter, I had the problem before & I still have the problem after. Although I did try a slight bigger main jet just cause I had it & it seemed to make my Rhino lazy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I tore the Carb down again yesterday, completely this time and the diaphragm is perfect. I did switch the washers around on the stock needle, like I read in a Mikuni write-up. If you remember last time I set the A/F mix screw at 2 1/2 turns out so this time I set at 1 3/4 turns out. Guess what? It still backfires through the Carb when starting in to the throttle. WTF

1 - 20 of 24 Posts