Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a rotax conversion from jay at desert dog and am wanting to do a turbo. Just wondering if anyone has done one yet and if so what kind? I am looking for some serious dune power, wanting to smoke the buddys rzr. Was thinking turbo and nos or nxs kit for eliminating turbo lag. I
Any help would be great

Oh yeah i did the thru shaft and dalton clutch and got the ron woods exhaust

·
Registered
792 Posts
Sounds like it should be pretty Fast already. What does your buddy have in his RZR that you fell you need more power?

Also Welcome to the site!! There are a few Rotax owners here already and should be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All he did so far is a tunner intake and exhaust with shocks. Ive done the lone star mts should have done the longer kit but thought i would still be driving it in the woods more but i dont. I havent put the motor in yet just thought i would do it all now instead of rearanging everything again right after its done.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
you can talk to warlock he has a turbo 800 in his artic cat, and some other mods... i hear it's really fast.
and i am prety sure there is a ron woods intake, not sure if it's a one off or regular part.

and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
A guy showed up at Pismo with a Turbo and iner-cooler on a Rzr. really nice set up. Max Powers might know the shop that did it. they do Rhinos also I think. Turbo might know where also it was up by Pismo. The rzr was fast like R1 fast or faster.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I just bought a rotax conversion from jay at desert dog and am wanting to do a turbo. Just wondering if anyone has done one yet and if so what kind? I am looking for some serious dune power, wanting to smoke the buddys rzr. Was thinking turbo and nos or nxs kit for eliminating turbo lag. I
Any help would be great

Oh yeah i did the thru shaft and dalton clutch and got the ron woods exhaust
Hey if you want to do the turbo you can talk to jay about that to. We turboed my two seater 800 Rotax and weve gained a lot of experience from it. We were a little overboard on safety of fuel delivery and it was holding it back, I was only able to use 1/4 throttle and it pulled like crazy and I havent messed with it much since I got the new injectors. It should be insanely fast now. And it should dune way easier with out worry of a melt down. Call jay and ask him about it,Hes real knowledgeable with this stuff Hes been doing it for years..

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
All he did so far is a tunner intake and exhaust with shocks. Ive done the lone star mts should have done the longer kit but thought i would still be driving it in the woods more but i dont. I havent put the motor in yet just thought i would do it all now instead of rearanging everything again right after its done.
the stock rotax will already smoke a rzr, you really should drive it before looking for more power, it already has enough power to climb just about any dune and it will get you in trouble real fast if your not carefull
a turbo only brings down your reliability. Take it on a trip or two, then look at more power options if your not happy, but I think you'll be surprised.

·
Registered
68 Posts
does jay @ desert dog sell a kit for this swap ?? ie motor mounts and drivelines and misc. ..... that would be bad ass and how much?

·
Registered
102 Posts
yes, i belive it's around $1200, but don't hold me to that
I think its closer to $1500.....I cant remember for sure. But you also have to decide whether to buy Jay's modded harness or do your own wiring. if your pretty mechanically inclined the wiring isnt bad at all.....just time consuming. But if not, I think Jay has a harness just ready to lay in and plugs right in......no hassles.

You will also need a tank for the BRP fuel pump, and a small external fuel pump to transfer fuel from the stock rhino tank.

On stock 25" tires.....its scary! I ordered 28" tires today and a lift kit for mine.....I am geared more towards mud and hill climbing than dunes. Plus, it has so much power that this will tame it down a bit!!

Max.....where did you end up getting that custom header? Can I see some pics of it to see if I will run into problems with mine since I have snorkels on it?? I ran into some cash and I am thinking about calling your guy and having one made....I think it would help out a lot.

frank

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I had my friends at the proshop take it to somebody they know, I don't know the name of the place, but you could call john at the proshop and ask him
(714)892-1300

I'm pretty sure any place could make one, and it probably should be made on the car itself, Mine comes witin a quarter inch of my driveline, I'd hate for yours to be off and rub a hole, you know?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had my friends at the proshop take it to somebody they know, I don't know the name of the place, but you could call john at the proshop and ask him
(714)892-1300

I'm pretty sure any place could make one, and it probably should be made on the car itself, Mine comes witin a quarter inch of my driveline, I'd hate for yours to be off and rub a hole, you know?
True.....I am going to talk to an old street rod shop tonight. They sounded like they might consider doing it.....but they wouldnt committ. I will just have to see. If not, I will start making some calls and see what I can find. I wouldnt mind seeing yours though.....would give me some ideas of whether or not it would work for me.

frank

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'M RUNNIN A FUEL CELL WHAT PUMP IS EVERYONE RUNNIN THESE THINGS ON AND THE WIRING IS NOT A PROBLEM FOR ME:eek:k:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'M RUNNIN A FUEL CELL WHAT PUMP IS EVERYONE RUNNIN THESE THINGS ON AND THE WIRING IS NOT A PROBLEM FOR ME:eek:k:
Running the stock BRP pump. I heard a guy say he tried using something else and it didnt work right.....not sure on that one thought.

I just had a friend make me a tank.....cut a hole in the bottom for the BRP pump, drill and tap the holes and wha-la!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Running the stock BRP pump. I heard a guy say he tried using something else and it didnt work right.....not sure on that one thought.

I just had a friend make me a tank.....cut a hole in the bottom for the BRP pump, drill and tap the holes and wha-la!
Do you think I can get an 08 rhino Tank to work with the BRP pump?

·
Registered
361 Posts
All the talk about the whole rotax swap makes me want to start saving and start the install. How does this compared to a turbo or supercharged rhino motor ?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
All the talk about the whole rotax swap makes me want to start saving and start the install. How does this compared to a turbo or supercharged rhino motor ?
never seen a supercharged or turboed rhino motor last long enough to do a comparison. Does that answer your question?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
never seen a supercharged or turboed rhino motor last long enough to do a comparison. Does that answer your question?
Yeah Ive never seen one last yet either. Everyone blows them up and if they tell you something different there lying.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts