Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner
1 - 20 of 502 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is getting to be a pain in the ass, tring to keep up on a Thread about a build when all these forums keep changing around.

So I have decided to make this RHINOTALK.NET the home of my R1 rhino build and full race cage design build. I will update the other forums now and then since there already started and those members are following the build but this place will be the main update forum for the build. :clap:

So today I decided I had to start working on it. The main objection for today was to remove the stock motor............Yep, that didn't happen. Man already heading to a bad schedule on this. I did get a lot of stuff torn aprt and removed. Pretty much all I have to do is unbolt the motor mounts and it's ready to come out.

It had to be about 105 Deg. in my garage and that did not make it for a fun day. So I was done after about 5 hr's.
Here's some pics of todays progress.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
sounds like your in need of a good a/c man to cool off the workshop:wave:
I dragged a r1 at pismo (kong) I got him off the line, then he hit 2ncd and went by me.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here's a few more from today

THIS IS FOR SALE.......I'LL MAKE YOU A GREAT DEAL ON IT

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds like your in need of a good a/c man to cool off the workshop:wave:
I dragged a r1 at pismo (kong) I got him off the line, then he hit 2ncd and went by me.
I think he let you take him off the line. :laugh:

I forgot you are the AC man. I just might need you to stop by for a couple little things.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, I was in the garage for a few hr's today and the wife come out and just shook her head at me.:mad:
Earlier tonight she went out to the garage fridge and saw it and said it doesn't even look like a rhino. I just shook my head at her and said it hasn't looked like a rhino for 2 years now:laugh:

it's always a project going on over here. No turning back now!

·
CommanderTalk.com
1,706 Posts
Looks like a fantastic project...Just wanted to ask one question. You mentioned something about the forums moving around, were you referring to here?

Ok two questions, I thought I read somewhere that the R1 motor is a direct bolt in (as far a motor and tranny) into the Rhino...is that true?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like a fantastic project...Just wanted to ask one question. You mentioned something about the forums moving around, were you referring to here?

Ok two questions, I thought I read somewhere that the R1 motor is a direct bolt in (as far a motor and tranny) into the Rhino...is that true?
Yes. I started posting this build on RF. That is where my suspension build is posted. I also have it posted at Glamisdunes but there site is so slow at loading pages and there aren't really any local guys on the sideXside section that much. Then I started it at Booyoocrew forums. They are Great guys over there but as you know it was ment more for there close friends and not all rhino stuff, so I'm really glad you guys started this one. So this site will be my new home. It's just to hard to keep all 4 sites updated.

As far as the motor and rear gear set being one bolt on package. It was going to be that way but I wouldn't be able to have reverse. The more I kept thinking about it the more I really needed reverse. My wife drives it with her friends just as much as I do and I need to make it easier for her to take out alone.
This is the new set up that Brian King makes for his short cars (king Sand cars). They only make it for a Hayabusa. I was talking to him for a couple weeks about it. Todd was going to CNC a set up like this but for the R1. Then yes, it would be a complete bolt together package and just drop it in.
He's not going to spend the many, many,many hrs designing this now but will be saving all the programs and jiggs to make my R1 kit again.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NOt sure on the diff. Todd came buy today and picked up my stock motor. He's going to ship it out of his shop to the winning bidder from eBay. Todd looked at a few different rear end set ups on line with me and he really didn't care for the brake set up that RPM does on there's. They have a single brake set up that is before all the gears. So it puts a big strain on the gears inside the gear box everytime you brake. He wants to do dual brakes inboard similiar to this set up.

He thought I was just having him do a motor swap until he came over and saw what I had done to my rhino. It looks like he will be doing A LOT of fab work now. Pretty much it will be a complete new rhino. Maybe even new rear A-arms and for sure a new rear shock tower and he's going to tie in the front shock tower to the main cage.
Not to mention the radiator in the rear.
Just some thoughts that we we're talking about....I wanted right hand drive and he suggested a Center drive with a passenger seat on each side. Damn, If anybody can do it Todd can. I can't wait until he starts hitting this thing with his Plasma and the Tig.:yahoo::yahoo:

·
Registered
250 Posts
hey man did you check out my rear brake set up???? i just machined down the back side of my cv flange and bolted it on right there..... the single disc works great i use a two piston cnc caliper.....

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The Nice Thing About Outboard Brakes Is That If You Ever Break An Axle You Still Have 4 Tires Stopping You. Could Get Crazy Really Fast Trying To Stop A Rhino Doing 90 With Only 1 Rear Tire Stopping You??

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No I didn't see that set up you did. I saw this one

And this one had the brake befofe the gears.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Nice Thing About Outboard Brakes Is That If You Ever Break An Axle You Still Have 4 Tires Stopping You. Could Get Crazy Really Fast Trying To Stop A Rhino Doing 90 With Only 1 Rear Tire Stopping You??
And 2 fronts. But VERY good point. The problem I have is I don't think todd wants to make new uprights to hold them. Again, This is really going to be my fabricators decision and which brake set up to build.
You guys input and pics are definitly helping me though. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I Know You Have Got A Good Fabricator But Talk To Jeff At Metaltech. He Made A Rear Brake Kit That Bolts On To The Stock Rhino Hub, And Uses Tatum 2 Piston Calipers.

·
Registered
250 Posts
yeah you could have jeff cut out the disc get another set of front hubs and its minimal fab work just lota head scratching, you would have to run 14" wheels with the rear brake setup. i just went with the single due to my budget i spent under 200 bucks for mywhole setup... im kinda frugal

i have herd that having the brake in front of the gears makes you stoping power greater due to the gear reduction.... i think i would call dan @ rpm and just ask him his thoughts about them.... all tho you are running outa room to fit all this stuff in there you will see when you start puting it all together its pretty tight.....

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
yeah you could have jeff cut out the disc get another set of front hubs and its minimal fab work just lota head scratching, you would have to run 14" wheels with the rear brake setup. i just went with the single due to my budget i spent under 200 bucks for mywhole setup... im kinda frugal

i have herd that having the brake in front of the gears makes you stoping power greater due to the gear reduction.... i think i would call dan @ rpm and just ask him his thoughts about them.... all tho you are running outa room to fit all this stuff in there you will see when you start puting it all together its pretty tight.....
jeff still uses the rear knuckle. but the downside is you have to run a 14" wheel.

1 - 20 of 502 Posts