Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the tiny pin located on the inside pad of the rear brakes does? I have heard that somehow it can cause the piston to come out too far too fast and lock the brakes up. I can not see how this would happen. The reason I ask is the aftermarket brake pads I ordered do not have the pin. I have also heard the EBC pads do not have it either. Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pin is part of the metal backing that the pad material is glued to. Not a separate piece. It is only on the inside pad on the rear caliper. Well after looking at a parts diagram I am questioning what I am talking about. Guess I need to go look at them again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dustin, EBC does make the pad with the locator pin. i found them at the shop on rosegarden just west of 19th ave. Court can explain the need for the pin, i don't completely understand it either.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dustin, you mean the little protrusion that sits against the caliper piston???

The lower guides keep them in place, so I cannot see that it would matter without it.

Rog
Yes. I was told it would cause the brakes to lock up. My new pads do not have the pin and I cannot figure out how it would do anything at all

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dustin, EBC does make the pad with the locator pin. i found them at the shop on rosegarden just west of 19th ave. Court can explain the need for the pin, i don't completely understand it either.
Price is that Select Powersports?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sometimes you just need to believe. The piston has a threaded rod in the middle that allows the parking brake to self adjust. The piston can and will turn tighter by itself without the pin. If you want a DNF at the cinders, run those pads. I have drilled and tapped the pad and installed a stud to make them work, but the height had to be at least as tall as the stock pad pin or the rear brakes will fail.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe you. Just trying to understand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.