Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been thinking about this too....have a trip planned up at Big Bear and we're going to be alone. I'm bringing a SPOT GPS messenger (if I get out of cell range), but wondered what else I should carry. What I've thought of so far is:
-Bag of tools
-Co2 and plug/sidewall kit
-fuel filter
-Belt
-Zip ties and duct tape
-Flashlight

Based on your list, I'll bring
-water/coolant
-Oil

How many of you guys have really torn up tie rods and CV's on trail rides? I'm not going balls out on a ride with the wife and nobody with us, but I do want to be prepaired. We're just going cruising on forest trails. I'm not real anxious to buy a but load of $$$ CV's as spares either. How many of you guys have had CV's give out?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Well there is a little more I carry on a mexico ride so I will list what I take on everyride, then what i throw in additionally for a Mexico ride.......

Small Socket set including a 30mm for axle nut
Definitley an 11/16, 9/16, and 5/8 wrenches
Spare Axle Nut
Spare Castle Nuts and cotter pins
small roll of tie wire
tow strap
spare tie rod and tie rod ends
spare ball joints
assorted nuts and bolts and washers
electricl and duct tape (black gorilla tape works great to temporarily patch a ripped CV boot)
Spare oiled Air Filter
Spare Fuel filter
spare hose clamps
small rubber mallet (for CV repair)
spare CV's including spare boots and moly grease
zip ties
CVT Belt (New addition after losing one in baja..this is a must have!)
Spare Spark Plug
Screw drivers, long, short, phillips, and flat
rubber gloves
knife
Off Road tire repair kit
2 spare tires
2 5gallon gas cans (only on long runs)
wind breaker rolled up in glove box with beenie and gloves

I keep most of this in a small tool bag under my seat.

I might be forgetting some other small stuff........

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I have seen the strongest built Rhino loose a bolt and be stuck. I have seen a bike loose a radiator cap deep in baja 100 miles from anywhere? The guy is a good mechanic and the bike was sound? somehting went wrong? and always will go wrong it always happens. This thread is about total possible prepardness when a problem accurs.

There are guys I ride with a lot on this forum. That have broken tie rod end, steering rod bolts? lug nuts lost? just easy fixes if you have the part.

Your question seems to be do yu really need eveything? Thats why I put the 100lbs weight limit on the spare parts and tools. Because no you cant carry everything toi heavy. This does not including spare tire and fuel I guess.

Also think about if you break down, would you maybe have to spend the night out there? Be prepared for this if it applies. Local camping store has all the Nasa Blanket/sleeping bags and pounchos and water proof matches etc..

These acessories weigh next to nothing and are always good to have.

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
when i'm in Baja I always have food and drink to last me atleast a day as well as a set of clothes. In the desert i just make sure i have a TON of beer!!!
Yep good point Joey, just off what is in my Baja back pack could last me 3 days if this was a worse earth quake. I keep power bars in there that dont spoil and granola bars.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I have seen the strongest built Rhino loose a bolt and be stuck. I have seen a bike loose a radiator cap deep in baja 100 miles from anywhere? The guy is a good mechanic and the bike was sound? somehting went wrong? and always will go wrong it always happens. This thread is about total possible prepardness when a problem accurs.

There are guys I ride with a lot on this forum. That have broken tie rod end, steering rod bolts? lug nuts lost? just easy fixes if you have the part.

Your question seems to be do yu really need eveything? Thats why I put the 100lbs weight limit on the spare parts and tools. Because no you cant carry everything toi heavy. This does not including spare tire and fuel I guess.

Also think about if you break down, would you maybe have to spend the night out there? Be prepared for this if it applies. Local camping store has all the Nasa Blanket/sleeping bags and pounchos and water proof matches etc..

These acessories weigh next to nothing and are always good to have.
The whole point to me would be to ride with good friends and not by yourself.
Handheld or better GPS should also be a must on at least two offroad toys in the group.

Alot of this stuff should be in camp and some basics with the Rhino.

Rog

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.