Votes: 4 5.8%
  • MT/Rs

Votes: 4 5.8%
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe a good way to ask this is, What are the best all around tires for dry climate like CA?
I ran my Mud Lite tires today in the ca desert and some small mountains and they sucked. They do look really cool on my ride but i need better tires for all around or mixed desert use? Help a brother out I need the rt.net knowledge!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
This may sound crazy but Here in So Cal , mostly riding Ocotillo wells Plaster Shitty , Superstitions , Borrego springs and Ocotillo I have found that I like the stock tires the best . I have run Bighorns and they are bit heavy and a bit to lugie for the HP we have , But they look Bithcin. I have run Terra cross and they well they just keep popping so I have stock tires on bead lock's. and if I were going to buy some new i would go with the carliels , I like the tread pattern.:good:

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey DieselPower I dont know how to do a new poll? This might get interesting can yo help me out on this topic?

1 Big Horns
2 Carliels
3 Stock
4 Terra cross-not?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bighorns all the way!!!!! Stockers are a close second. Terras are worthless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any questions???

Also, stick with the stock sizes - they're the best
AND, I'm a desert ridin' motherf'er and consider myself an expert!!

that's funny right there!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
There are a few different brands of stockers depending on the year. Most of the stockers out there are 2 or 3 ply tires. IMO they perform good for general conditions. However I was able to put a few holes in them.

Most of the 489's out there are 3 or 4 ply. I have heard of some cheap ones at Walmart that are 2 ply. The 2 ply would be good for the sand but I wouldn't trust them in the desert or on the trails.

IMO for desert rides you need to stick with a 6 ply tire. The Terracross tires are 6 ply. However in order to lighten them up a little they made the sidewalls thinner. That is why so many people have problems with them... myself included. Terracross suck IMO.....

The Bighorns are a 6 ply tire. I have not been able to put a hole in mine yet. I have abused them yet no holes. I ride straight thru the brush and make my own trails. With the stockers and Terracross I would get a hole from a stick everytime I rode thru the brush. The Bighorns have not go a hole yet.

Although they are a heavy tire and they will rob a little horsepower...... I say Bighorns are the best for desert or trail rides.

I agree...... Stick with the stock sizes.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I also run stock size BH's and love them and in the desert your h.p. will still be plenty!
As far as being a desert expert where I live you gotta drive 3 hours in any direction to get the fuck outta the desert...does that make me a expert?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also run stock size BH's and love them and in the desert your h.p. will still be plenty!
As far as being a desert expert where I live you gotta drive 3 hours in any direction to get the fuck outta the desert...does that make me a expert?
EXPERT!

BH, stock size, SS rims (replaced for free if bent/cracked/broken) = perfect desert set up

I will look into BH 2.0's after my original BH wear out. By that time they will be battle tested and the word will be out good or bad.

The weight loss is minimal from originals to 2.0's (every little bit helps) so if ruggedness suffers at all, the weight loss won't be worth it

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool! keep the info coming, Right now I am gonna run my stock until the Big Horn 2.0 comes out. I like the real application exsperience you guys have to share. So if any desert racers are out there i would like your feed back!

And it is cool to know where you get your opinion from. The people who live in the middle of the desert can be considered desert experts for sure! Not sure about tire experts but i do want to know what is working for you?

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hapa look at the top cars in the big races... V2R ...jagged x on bighorns
I believe the fst car in baja was also on bighorns....could be wrong.

Nope... I was right they ran bighorns
http://glowsinc.smugmug.com/gallery/3834923_FHzik/46/222126329_e8LDh#222126329_e8LDh-X2-LB
Yep, i am thinking Big Horns for sure, no pun intended smart azz's. The proof is always what are the winners running thanks B! :good: btw are you sure those are BH in that pic? kind of blury. lol just having fun

I am impressed with all the votes for stock!:confused:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Stockers are very good. Cheap, light weight, durable. Take-off's found everywhere.

With the BH's, you add a little weight, but gain traction, more durability, tread life and they're non directional (which I like)

If the 2.0's are every bit as good as the original, less the weight, they will be the holy grail of desert tires!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts