Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
CommanderTalk.com
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know we have a lot of veteran side x side sand drivers here, and thought it would be a great idea to share with others some of the do's and don'ts of driving a side x side in the sand.

Personally this will be my first year of driving a side x side in the sand, however, I am not new to it (atvs)

Anyhow, thought some of you veterans could share what first timers could expect for their first trip to the sand.

·
Registered
122 Posts

1. Hang on to the steering wheel very tightly, and keep your thumbs on the outside of the wheel.

2. Watch closely for/avoid "witches eyes".

3. Run your desert tires at around 3-4lbs.

4. Momentum is your friend.

5. Keep her pinned.

6. Try to keep your cheeks from cramping due to the constant smile.

Then go out at night and do the same,,,, totally different feeling.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
mantis has good info,

But in reality you need to ride with people who know the dunes very well and can help you by watching and giving feedback.

A whole bunch of us here know the dunes and the sxs way of driving them there also.

There are some very good leaders here that will help too.

BooYaa

Rog

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
One more thing mantis.....Its not a night ride.....unless its a BOOYAA night ride:D
it takes years of duning experience to go on a booyaa night ride!! couple guys turned back last year and were like F that, too gnarly!!

·
CommanderTalk.com
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya I will likely go out the first time with someone experienced in regards to driving a side x side out there just so I can get a feel for it...then its on :)

So whats up with these Booyaa night rides I hear about?

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I'll let Rog fill you in on the booyaa night ride.....I believe he has the best veiw of them:D
Why yes I do, would be one of the best places for the camera for shooo.

DP as long as you get a couple of day rides in with us, you can hang back with me for your first ride. then on the next night ride you can fall in line where ever you wish, if you dare. HA HA. HOpe you got Nerf bars LOL

IT is an adventure for sure. Last year we had about 25-30 in one line (mostly one line) and it is a sight to see.

Jim said that becasue I like the back of the line, some say I am the AAA of the dunes, I do not like leaving people out there. I have my radios now so I will be able to tell Bordhead ( BooYaaCrew Night ride leader) if there is an issue with anyone. AND there probably will be!!!! HAHA

Good times.

Rog

·
CommanderTalk.com
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like fun...I will admit I am not as crazy as I used to be, however, that could all change quickly ;)

Is Halloween looking like the first trip out?

Nonetheless, I have an onboard camera, so we can always mount that up and get some video going :good:

Thanks for the reminder on the nerfs...I need to followup on those!

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Sounds like fun...I will admit I am not as crazy as I used to be, however, that could all change quickly ;)

Is Halloween looking like the first trip out?

Nonetheless, I have an onboard camera, so we can always mount that up and get some video going :good:

Thanks for the reminder on the nerfs...I need to followup on those!
Personnaly I do not like Haloween weekends out there, I leave that for the kids in trucks and shit.

THat brings up a good idea though. We could shoot for the next weekend and do a RT.net Gecko road cleanup gathering and sell some swag aslo.

Anyone down for that???? I do not think we would need any permits or anything for something like that. THis would give everyone time for planning.

Rog

·
CommanderTalk.com
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya I suppose I should have said around Halloween...not necessarily Halloween ;)

A cleanup...that actually does sound like a good idea. Maybe get some of the people from my Teryx site to join us. I am thinking around that time will be the magazine article on my Teryx, therefore, maybe we could get a mention about the cleanup in the article? What do you think?

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
If you have ridden the dunes before even on quad the same rules apply.

1 never ride over a dune straight unless busting air! Always make sure you can see whats on the other side, witches eyes, major drops, kids etc...

2 turn at the top of the dunes so you can see the bottom first then drop in.

You probably know this stuff. The biggest difference with a UTV is. Keep your momentum up, all the way over the hill.

3 Momentum is your only chance and your best friend. These vehicles are all under powered for the most part. Its not like you can power up a dune you have to have the momentum. If you dont you will be backing down dunes a bunch and that gets dangerous. Momentum momentum momentum!

4 Ride in another experienced UTV for just a bit and you will see this UTV dune thing is a whole different animal than the QUads. ANd a lot more fun!

Let me know when you are going, I would be happy to give some flying lesson!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I roll the same way, I am always running in back, partly to leave no one behind, and partly because I know if the 4 seaters in front of me can make, it I can no problem.

I even run a flag that says "Caboose".

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Ya I suppose I should have said around Halloween...not necessarily Halloween ;)

A cleanup...that actually does sound like a good idea. Maybe get some of the people from my Teryx site to join us. I am thinking around that time will be the magazine article on my Teryx, therefore, maybe we could get a mention about the cleanup in the article? What do you think?
I am all for that, Maybe raffle tickets, BBQ. I might have to make a trailer for that to haul trash. Got a bed and axle already , anyone want to donate some crappy old fenders?? HA HA.

Rog

·
Registered
379 Posts
Personnaly I do not like Haloween weekends out there, I leave that for the kids in trucks and shit.

THat brings up a good idea though. We could shoot for the next weekend and do a RT.net Gecko road cleanup gathering and sell some swag aslo.

Anyone down for that???? I do not think we would need any permits or anything for something like that. THis would give everyone time for planning.

Rog
How about a night ride from Gecko to Gordon's Well, and back. That is my favorite trip!

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
How about a night ride from Gecko to Gordon's Well, and back. That is my favorite trip!
IF we do that I will take the buggy. TO me it is boring straight line, you will like our night rides to lights out bowl, Olds, flag pole maybe and back again.

Rog

1 - 20 of 98 Posts